A Chocolate Labrador named Barney got stoned recently when he went to the beach, according to a Feb. 25 Broken News Daily report. The dog's owner took him to a beach filled with pebbles, and shortly after, he started acting sluggish.
Kim Woollard, the dog's owner, a resident of Chessington, Surrey, England, worried after Barney's demeanor changed so quickly. One day he was playing happily on the beach and the next, the dog was sluggish and not feeling well. She took him to the vet.
After close examination, the vet found that Barney the dog ate 109 stones. Apparently Barney likes to each strange things like tissues and even laundry. However, this is most likely the first time the Chocolate Lab ate 109 stones. No wonder he felt sluggish!
Kim Woollard said,
"We were absolutely astounded when we saw the x-ray and it showed why Barney was feeling under the weather. No wonder he had been feeling sluggish when there were more than a hundred stones in his stomach. When the vet showed us the x-ray I was gobsmacked. You could see lots of the pebbles still in his stomach and intestine."
The good news is that Barney will be okay despite his odd meal. Ultimately, the vet removed 79 rocks from Barney. The dog had passed 30 of the stones on his own before going to the vet. Barney's teeth were also damaged from eating so many rocks, and he had to have tooth surgery as well.
Interestingly, Barney's owners never noticed a thing at the beach. That dog ate these rocks sneakily. They will not be taking him back to pebbly beaches in the future.