Aaron Barnes of Palm Beach and Dan Podgorski of Orlando are atop the leaderboard in respective all-events categories after the first weekend (April 12-13) of the Florida State Bowling Association's 80th annual championship tournament, according to current, unofficial standings posted Thursday.
Over the first two days of competition at the 80-lane Boardwalk Entertainment Center in Orlando, Barnes sets the pace in handicap all-events with a nine-game score of 2,256, while Podgorski leads scratch all-events with a 1,986 pinfall. In addition, Dan and Duane Podgorski hold the first-weekend advantage in scratch doubles with a score of 1,316.
Tyson Kurth of Ocala turned in the top overall individual performance, which included first place in scratch singles with 762. He is also runner-up in handicap singles with 818, and he is third in two events: scratch doubles (with Mike Stiles) at 1,268, and scratch all-events at 1,895.
Gina's Team of West Volusia sets the pace in both five-player classifications, with respective scratch and handicap scores of 3,037 and 3,503. And the other tournament leaders are Sandra and Jerry Koehn of Indian River in handicap doubles (1,491), and Dallas Smith Sr. of Jacksonville in handicap singles (832).
The top individual performance from a bowler representing the Sarasota-Manatee County area was turned in by Kevin O'Neill, who is sixth in scratch singles (645) and ninth in handicap singles (750). Other Sarasota area players on the leaderboard include David Turner (eighth in handicap all-events with 2,118) and Kelsey Sutton and Matthew Stroud (tenth in scratch doubles with 1,114, and in team event, Jughead's Construction is fifth scratch (2,667) and ninth handicap (3,356).
Following this weekend's action (April 19-20), there will be two idle weekends (April 26-27 and May 3-4) before tournament play resumes on May 10-11. The two-weekend break is due to the USBC Convention and the Special Olympics, an event that completely fills the Boardwalk center.
The top three in each tournament category are listed below, and for a more-extensive list of current standings, click here.
- TEAM EVENT HANDICAP: 1, Gina's Team (West Volusia) 3,503; 2, Roupe Team (Orlando) 3,492; 3, Dagwoods (Indian River) 3,478.
- TEAM EVENT SCRATCH: 1, Gina's Team (West Volusia) 3,037; 2, Nelson's Willy's #1 (Palm Beach) 2,996; 3, Brian Brazeau's Pro Shop (Ocala) 2,984.
- DOUBLES HANDICAP: 1, Sandra Koehn and Jerry Koehn (Indian River) 1,491; 2, Mike Rhodes and Stephen Rhodes (Leesburg) 1,471; 3, Karen Venable and Kathy Fulton (Lakeland) 1,469.
- DOUBLES SCRATCH: 1, Dan Podgorski and Duane Podgorski (Orlando) 1,316; 2, Keith Bradford and John Weltzien (Palm Beach) 1,280; 3, Mike Stiles and Tyson Kurtz (Marion County) 1,268.
- SINGLES HANDICAP: 1, Dallas Smith Sr. (Jacksonville) 832; 2, Tyson Kurth (Ocala) 818; 3, Walt Grzybowski (Port St. Lucie) 802.
- SINGLES SCRATCH: 1, Tyson Kurth (Ocala) 762; 2, Josh Weisbaum (Orlando) 672; 3, John Barnes (Palm Beach) 678.
- ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Aaron Barnes (Palm Beach) 2,256; 2, Megan Robbins (Jacksonville) 2,170; 3, Dan Podgorski (Orlando) 2,154.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, Dan Podgorski (Orlando) 1,986; 2, John Barnes (Palm Beach) 1,900; 3, Tyson Kurth (Ocala) 1,895.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]