The end of summer is fast approaching, and in Atlanta that tends to mean a spike in geek cultured activities - themed runs, fan conventions, and the like will start increasing (as if they ever really slow down). Bookseller Barnes & Noble is getting in on the fun, declaring July 18 - August 10 as the time to "get pop cultured" in their stores.
Beginning with a preview weekend in several stores, the retailer has announced plans to celebrate various genres of pop culture to take us through the end of summer. Batman, DC Comics, Disney's Frozen, James Patterson - they all get their own days during the celebration. According to their website, here are the events local geeks and geek wannabes have to look forward to:
- July 18 - 20: Preview Weekend - Visit your local B&N store for exclusive sneak peeks and giveaways
- July 23: Batman Day - Celebrate the 75th anniversary of The Caped Crusader with activities, events and giveaways, including a free special edition copy of Detective Comics #27; participants can also enter a contest for a chance to win their own mini bat-signal
- July 23 - 27: DC Comics Spectacular - giveaways, activities and special offers on DC Comics
- July 24 - 27: Comic Convention Colllectibles - coinciding with Comic Con weekend, be amongst the first to purchase never-before-seen Funko 2014 Limited Editon Convention Exclusives when they go on sale at 12:01am
- August 1: Frozen Friday - Bring the kids in to Cool off with Olaf with storytime, sing alongs, crafts and activities
- August 2: Marvel Day - celebrating Marvel's 75th anniversary with activities and giveaways
- August 3: James Patterson Day - one-day sale of all things James Patterson, fan trivia, giveaways, discussions, and more
- August 4 - 9: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Week - celebrate the release of the new movie (due in theaters August 8) by diving in to all things TMNT. Geared towards ages 5-10, contact your local store to find out activity dates/times. Cowabunga!
- August 8 - 10: Page to Screen Weekend - Celebrate the connections between books, movies, TV, collectibles, games, and toys with raffles and giveaways from The Maze Runner, Game of Thrones, The Giver, Doctor Who and more.
Participants will also be able to enter for a chance to win a Deluxe Behind the Scenes studio tour with a trip for 2 to Los Angeles and a $1000 B&N gift card. Details for entering the contest can be found here. Visit the Barnes & Noble website to find out which of your local stores will be participating in the "Get Pop-Cultured" celebration.