You have heard of the Walk for Life sponsored by the American Cancer Association, well now they are sponsoring a Bark for Life. This canine event was also created as a means to fight cancer.
Although the event does not take place until Sunday, July 14th at the river Edge Park, 233 North Broadway in Aurora, Illinois, registrants are already busy collecting much needed funds so that the event successfully collects as much cash for cancer research as possible. One such participant is Jeannette Herbord.
Those that pre-register like Herbord only pay $25 per dog. The deadline for the pre-registration is Midnight on Thursday, July 11th. If you forget and still would like to participate, you will be able to do so. Cost to register on the day of the event is $35 per dog.
Another benefit to pre-registering, besides time to collect pledges, is that you will receive an event t-shirt. It is easy to collect these donations. All you have to do is let your family, friends, and co-workers know and most people will be more than willing to help fight against cancer!
Those that collect the most funds are subject to winning prizes:
· Dog Lover Award is for those that collect $100 or more. Your dog will receive an RFL Bandana.
· Golden Bone Award is for those that collect $150 or more. In addition to the Bandana, you will also receive a Magnetic Picture Frame to memorialize a photo of you and your dog.
· Wonder Dog Award is for those that collect $250 or more. For this award, you will receive the Bandana, Magnetic Picture Frame and a Dog Collar for your furry friend to proudly display.
· Top Dog Award is for those that are really aggressive and collect $500 or more in pledges. These individuals will get all of the previously named gifts and a Leash to go with the Collar.
On the day of the event, there will be a few rules to follow once you check in:
1. Participating dogs will be screened.
2. If your dog does not pass the screening, the American Cancer Society reserves the right to turn both you and your dog away.
3. One dog per human participant.
4. Dogs must remain on a standard leash, maximum of six feet, at all times.
5. Any dog in heat will be turned away.
6. This event is for canines and their humans only, although there will be a tribute wall in which to honor other household pets.
7. All canines must be current on their vaccinations.
8. You must bring bags to clean up after your dog.
Although this is an event for canines and their humans, walkers that do not have a dog are also willing to participate! You and your dog should be in the Park to check in between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. You will want to bring your pledge forms with you. The event will promptly begin at 9:30 – rain or shine! Once the walk is over, your dog has the option to participate in Pooch Play games.
If you would like more information, check out the event website at www.relayforlife.org/BarkAuroraIL. If you would like to help Jeannette Herbord, feel free to phone her at 630.670.6603 or go to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bark for Life promises to be a tail-wagging good time! Hope to see you there!