Just five days after Politifact awarded Barack Obama the "Lie of the Year," Barbara Walters told CNN's Piers Morgan that she and others thought Barack Obama would be "the next messiah," Noel Sheppard reported Tuesday at Newsbusters.
"He made so many promises," she said after Morgan asked why Obama is struggling so much in his second term. "We thought that he was going to be - I shouldn't say this at Christmastime, but - the next messiah."
She also said the Obamacare rollout has hurt the president because people "expected more."
"It's very difficult when the expectations for you are very high," she added. "You're almost better off when they are low and then they rise and rise. His were very high and they’ve dropped. But you know, he still has several years to go. What does he have, three years, Piers? And, you know, there will be a lot of changes, one thinks in that time."
"Quite a thing to say on the very day a new poll found this president having the lowest approval rating of any since Nixon," Sheppard said.
Walters' statement, Sheppard added, also came one day after the Washington Post said Obama was responsible for three of the top ten biggest Pinocchios of the year.
"Pinocchios" are the metric the Post fact-checker uses to determine how false a statement is. The more Pinocchios one receives, the bigger the lie.
Since first being elected, liberals have elevated Obama to the status of a deity, with Newsweek issuing a cover that called him "god of all things."
In 2009, Newsweek editor Evan Thomas told MSNBC's Chris Matthews that Obama is "sort of God."
Matthews responded by simply uttering, "Yeah."
Actor Jamie Foxx jumped on the bandwagon at the 2012 Soul Train awards, calling Obama "our lord and savior."
It's not unusual for presidents to be placed on a pedestal by their supporters, but Obama is perhaps the first to be seen as something other than a mere mortal temporarily occupying a position granted by the electorate.
For some liberals, Obama really is a messiah to be worshiped and adored. Anyone who disagrees is automatically labeled a racist traitor. But it seems the bloom is off the rose as Obama's poll numbers continue to plummet.
"Some messiah, Barbara," Sheppard concluded.
- Florida professor: Obama an 'apostle' sent to create 'heaven here on earth'
- The case against re-electing Barack Hussein Obama, part 3
- Obama's health care plan promise named Politifact's 2013 'Lie of the Year'
- Newsweek cover depicts President Obama as 'god of all things'
- Does a DNC souvenir calendar compare Barack Obama to Jesus Christ?
- Newsweek magazine uses religious imagery to label Obama 'first gay President'
- Obama supporter on NPR: Obama's voice 'clears up the weather'
- Poster at DNC convention calls Barack Obama 'prophesy fulfilled'
- Report: New book says Axelrod called Obama 'Black Jesus' due to messiah complex
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.