Joy Behar officially announced that she is leaving “The View,” but over the weekend, rumors ran rampant that Elisabeth Hasselbeck was following in her footsteps and also departing the daily chat fest. On March 11, Barbara Walters addressed both topics when she opened Monday’s edition of “The View.”
Concerning the rumor that Elisabeth is leaving, Walters said emphatically, “There is a particularly false story that keeps getting picked up about Elisabeth’s alleged departure, saying we don’t approve of her conservative views. The truth is we love Elisabeth. I like her personality and she’s just a wonderful person, but beyond that, we value and appreciate her point of view. It’s important to us because Elisabeth helps give the show perspective and balance. Believe me, she’s tougher than she looks. So, we have no plans for Elisabeth to leave the show.”
Walters also took the opportunity to talk about Joy Behar’s departure at the end of the summer. “I want what’s best for you, but I will miss you,” Babs stated on Monday. She also said that she supported Joy’s decision to leave, despite the fact that the two have been together on "The View" for 16 years.
On a lighter note, Joy Behar gave her top 10 reasons for leaving “The View.” They are…
- I’ll finally have a chance to fulfill my dream: Going a whole week without putting on a brassiere.
- Like Barbara, I’m developing an unhealthy attraction to Elisabeth.
- I’m busy producing a new show for Al-Jazerra” “The Real Housewives of Fallujah County.”
- My flings with Wolf Blitzer and Regis make a lot of demands on my time.
- I find the constant echo coming from Sherri’s cleavage distracting.
- The contact high from sitting next to Whoopi is giving me the munchies.
- Steve keeps pressuring me to have a five-way.
- I have a pathological fear of catching childhood diseases like Mumps and Barbara.
- The glare from Bill Geddie’s head is giving me migraines.
- ABC won’t let me drink on the air like Hoda and Kathie Lee.
So, despite rumors, Joy Behar is definitely out and Elisabeth Hasselbeck is definitely in on “The View.” After her last show in August, Behar plans to concentrate on stand-up comedy and playwriting.
“The View” airs Monday-Friday on ABC. Check local listings for airtime.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you'll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite television shows and stars.