Barack Obama's Twitter account, run by Organizing for America, the activist group known as Obama's campaign arm, angered a number of people Thursday with a tweet claiming that Tea Party "extremists" closed the Statue of Liberty after the administration closed it along with other parks and memorials.
"Tea Party extremists caused this #BoehnerShutdown. Tell @SpeakerBoehner to end it now," the tweet said above a picture of the Statue of Liberty.
"@BarackObama is getting VERY desperate resorting to name calling of @SpeakerBoehner and 'tea party extremists,'" tweeted "Bess Byers."
"The real extremist is @BarackObama, a threat to our freedom," Byers said in another tweet.
"How is loving our country and respecting the Constitution 'extreme?' Your rhetoric is TIRED," another Twitter user said.
"We're jihadists and traitors according to the left and the media. They should be afraid if we EVER start acting that way," added "Hyperion." The same Twitter user told Obama to "go to hell" in another tweet and dared the president to personally kill him if he had the courage.
The partial shutdown of the federal government happened at midnight Monday after Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid refused to consider any of the multiple proposals put forward by House Republicans to fund the government while either defunding or delaying parts of Obamacare.
Reid and Obama have dug their heels, telling the House they would accept nothing less than what a full funding of Obamacare.
At a recent White House meeting with Congressional leaders, Obama told Republicans that it was basically "my way or the highway" on Obamacare funding.
Both Obama and Reid have engaged in overheated rhetoric intended to foment violence against conservatives, calling them anarchists, extremists, kidnappers and accusing them of extortion.
The Democrats' violent rhetoric has already borne fruit.
On Thursday, Breitbart.com reported that Rep. Sean Duffy, R-Wisc., was physically assaulted as he went to the Capitol to vote on legislation. Duffy's office said he wasn't harmed, but Capitol Police are looking into the incident.
Some members of the do-called "mainstream media" have advocated violence against the Tea Party, with a Washington Post columnist agreeing with a "longtime friend" that those responsible in Congress should have their heads cut off.
It's almost enough to make one think liberals really do want a second civil war in America.
- Liberals blame NRA, Tea Party for D.C. shooting, hope Republicans shot
- Mark Levin to Obama: Touch one vet and face 'half a million people' at memorial (Video)
- Obama to GOP at White House meeting: My way or the highway on Obamacare funding
- Reid blames Ted Cruz for kid with cancer comment, Politico runs cover (Video)
- Picture of guard at Lincoln Memorial called 'Snapshot of Obama's America'
- Harry Reid blames GOP for Obama shutting down WWII memorial
- NY Mag writer: Keep vets out of WWII memorial with aging Nazi soldiers
- Obama throws tantrum over Obamacare defunding, says military may not get paid
- Liberal New Republic suggests Obama use military against Tea Party
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- Louisiana veterans group building facility to help homeless vets, families
- Washington Post on shutdown: ‘Off with their heads,’ ‘Line ’em up and shoot ’em’
- Harry Reid forces gov’t shutdown, Ted Cruz offers salary to charity
- Retired Army officer warns: DHS preparing for war against American citizens
- Military drills in major cities alarm citizens, raise fears of government action
- Renowned author: Obama wants military leaders who will fire on U.S. citizens
- Obama implies GOP to ruin Christmas over Obamacare funding
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.