While vacationing in Thailand, I visited the famous Floating Market at Damnoen Saduak in the city of Rachaburi.
Located two hours (100km) from Bangkok, the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market is a must-see attraction when visiting Thailand and the city of Bangkok. It can be an easy day-trip from Bangkok, via either a tour bus, tourist van, or all-day taxi.
I decided to hire a taxi for the day, and for 2,500 BAHT it was well worth the money. Having a dedicated driver gives you the flexibility to leave when you want, and stay for as long as you desire at Damnoen Saduak Floating Market.
- If it's high tourist season, leave from Bangkok between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. It's good to arrive early before the many, large tour buses start to arrive from Bangkok.
- If it's low tourist season, leave Bangkok later in the morning. Don't get there before 8 a.m. Many of the vendor boats and booths open later in the morning during the slow time of the season.
- Many tour buses and vans leave from Victory Monument, which can be easily reached via the BTS Skytrain.
- If you're with a group of four or more, consider hiring a van. Many tour agencies in Bangkok can assist you in making the reservation.
- Of course, wear casual clothes and take plenty of water. It can get hot along the canals as the day progresses.
- Once at the canals, walk along the waterway for a little while before deciding to rent a boat.
- Negotiate the price of a boat for one hour to experience up-close the Floating Market at Damnoen Saduak.
- Another fun way to get there is to take a bus from the Southern Bus Terminal (#78) for only 150 BAHT.
- Rent a Long Boat. Before 8 a.m. the price is 300 BAHT. After 8 a.m. the rate can go up to as high as 500 BAHT. But be prepared to negotiate the price a little, depending on the time of the year and the number of tourists at the Floating Market that particular day. I suggest the man-guided boat for a leisurely float along the canals, instead of the long-shaft power boats.
- Hire a taxi in Bangkok for the whole day. Visit the Floating Market at Damnoen Saduak in the morning, and then have the driver take you to the city of Kanchanaburi to see the famous Bridge Over The River Kwai. It's an easy drive and just over an hour from the Floating Market. This is one of the top sites to see in Thailand, and something you don't want to miss while visiting Bangkok. It makes for an incredible day, full of many Thailand experiences.
Tripadvisor reviews let you see what others have to say about the Floating Market at Damnoen Saduak.
Travel & Food - The Perfect Combination
If you're heading to Oahu, make sure you see Waikiki Beach. Maui is also an incredible island, along with Kauai and The Big Island of Hawaii. Also, Honolulu is the perfect "gateway" to SE Asia and one of the most visited cities in the world is Bangkok, Thailand.