This banana cake is one delicious bite after another – it’s so easy to make, so moist, and is topped with a sweet, crunchy layer. If you’re interested in giving it a title, it’s a cross between a snack cake and a coffee cake. For some reason though, coffee cakes always seem a little dry and boring; this cake is anything but that -- it is an absolute standout!
Is there a dilemma in your house regarding what to do with those bananas that are too ripe to eat? If you love bananas and purchase them on a regular basis, you are probably plagued with the ones that don’t get consumed. Although you can make pancakes, muffins, breads, etc., the search is always on for something just a little bit different. If you’re not always interested in using them in baking, what can you do if you don’t want to waste them? Here are some wonderful ideas:
- Facial mask: Bananas will moisturize your skin and firm it at the same time. Mash up a banana with a little honey and a little oatmeal. The honey will thin the oatmeal and will also moisturize; the oatmeal will act as an exfoliate as you rub the mask on your skin.
- Banana peels for your garden: Even if you don’t have a compost pile, cut up banana peels and mix them with the soil around your plants. If you’re planting a rose bush, throw a couple banana peels in the hole prior to planting; the potassium in the peels will help the bushes to prosper.
- Shining your shoes: Rub the inside of a banana peel on your leather shoes – the moisturizing benefits of the peel will shine your shoes.
- Warts: Place a little piece of banana peel (yellow part out) over a wart and tape it in place before you go to bed. Do this each day until the wart comes off.
These are just a few of the wonderful benefits of bananas – and here is another:
Banana Cake Recipe with Chocolate Chips
Ingredients for Banana Cake with Chocolate Chips:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 large bananas
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 ½ tsp. cinnamon
Directions for Banana Cake with Chocolate Chips:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
In a large bowl, whip together the butter and white sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat well.
Add the bananas and sour cream. Beat just slightly. Add the dry ingredients and beat just enough to incorporate well.
In a separate, small bowl, mix the chocolate chips, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Spread ½ of the cake batter in the baking dish. Sprinkle with ½ of the chocolate chip mixture. Gently spoon the remaining batter over the chocolate chip mixture, then sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the cake batter.
Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Let cool completely prior to cutting into squares.
(Adapted from 365 Great Cakes)
Other delicious banana cakes:
Banana layer cake -- this is a family favorite and the frosting is amazing!
No bake banana cake – you will love this!
Hummingbird cake recipe – bananas and pineapple are perfect together
Banana upsidedown cake recipe – yummy!
Click on “SUBSCRIBE” above to receive email alerts of yummy recipes