1. Leisure
  2. Autos & Motorcycles
  3. Motorcycle Reviews

Baltimore County police officer killed in motorcycle crash

An off-duty Baltimore County police officer was killed in a motorcycle crash on Sunday, July 12, 2010.  According to initial reports, Officer William E. Anderson III was riding his motorcycle on Route 165 in Harford County, shortly after 1:00 pm when his motorcycle struck the back of a stopped pick-up truck.  Officer Anderson was treated at University of Maryland's Shock Trauma, but did not survive his injuries.

Officer Anderson was thirty-seven years old and was known to be a conscientious, and safe motorcyclist.  Affectionately nicknamed "Flipper" by co-workers, Officer Anderson was well-liked and considered to be an excellent police officer.  Officer Anderson was a fifteen year veteran and was assigned to the Business Patrol Unit at the Towson Precinct.

Officer Anderson is the second Baltimore County police officer to die in a motorcycle crash, and the third county officer killed in a vehicle crash during the past 10 months.

On October 25, 2009, forty-two year old Officer Jeffrey Neral, a seventeen year veteran, was killed while riding his motorcycle on Old Harford Road, in Carney.  Officer Neral was on his way to work at the Parkville Precinct when another vehicle pulled in front of him, causing a collision.

On September 24, 2009, thirty-two year old Officer Jason Simons was killed in a single vehicle crash in northern Baltimore County.  Officer Simons was a seven year veteran and was also assigned to the Towson Precinct at the time of his death.

Enjoy reading Tom's articles?  Bookmark his page and stop back frequently, or subscribe (at the top of this page) to receive an email update when Tom publishes new articles.

Follow Tom on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BaltoMCTrvlExnr or @BaltoMCTrvlExnr

Comments

• Mary Baker 4 years ago

Always a sad day when we lose one of our own. My condolences to the family.

• Barb 4 years ago

Thanks for reporting this. My condolences to his family, his friends and especially his colleagues.

• mike 4 years ago

You were the best officer in towson flipper. You will be missed.

• Patty Davis 4 years ago

So sad. Prayers and condolences to the officer's family and also his fellow officers.

• Charles 4 years ago

Met Officer Anderson at the Towson Precinct, when I showed up to report a stolen cell phone. He was very nice guy. Thorough with his questions, despite the simple nature of the crime. After talking for a few minutes, and filling out a report, he asked for me to call back when I had the cell ESN # from my provider. I got lazy/sidetracked, and didn't call back. A day later Officer Anderson was at my front door following up with me! All this for a cell phone! I apologized for not calling, and gave him the remaining information that he needed. We chatted some more about Towson, and the impending craziness of the TU Festival that day. Last thing he said to me was that he was working a long day, and was supposed to be out motorcycle riding.

Rest In Peace

• Charlie Smith 4 years ago

I graduated High School with Bill... I havent seen him in a long time... but the description of him in the story is exactly how I remember him from school. He had a huge heart and the world will be a darker place without him.