Summer is the season of stone fruit. Stone fruits ripen on tree and become very tender and sweet. Some examples of stone fruit include: peaches, apricots, plums, and nectarines. When you choose stone fruit for baking or eating, choose fruits that don’t have any bruises or blemishes.
Take advantage of in season stone fruits while you can! Here are some stone fruit recipes to get you started:
• Stone fruit trifle: This recipe allows you to combine a few of your favorite stone fruits with sponge cake. Try out different stone fruit combinations until you find your favorite.
• Apricot coffee cake: It’s hard to find an apricot coffee cake that isn’t made with preserves. This coffee cake recipe is loaded with fresh apricots.
• Peach crumb bars: Fresh peaches are always great when combined with cinnamon and nutmeg. Find out how they taste in these cake-like crumb bars.
• Nectarine upside-down cake: A spin on the classic pineapple upside-down cake.
If you’re in the Madison area, pick up some local stone fruit for a fresh and tasty dessert. Stop by these local farmers’ markets:
• Eastside Farmers’ Market: Located at 953 Jenifer St.
• Dane County’s Farmers’ Market: Located at the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
• Hilldale Farmers’ Market: Hilldale Mall
For a full list of Madison area farmers’ markets and times click here.