Even though the recipe name implies bread pudding it isn’t what you are thinking. This is a casserole dish that has a base of cubed, hard-crusted bread beneath a shroud of cheese and vegetables. The recipe also calls for sausage which you can add or leave out depending upon your dietary preferences.
- 6 links of sausage, optional
- ½ of a medium onion diced
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread (cut into cubes about 1 to 2 inches thick)
- 1 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese
- 9 eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can of sliced mushrooms
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 325'.
- If you want to include the sausage in this dish cook the sausage in a frying pan with a light dusting of cooking spray in the pan for about 10 minutes over a medium heat or until the sausage is cooked through and set aside.
- Add the olive oil in the pan and sauté' the onion and mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are tender.
- Then add in the spinach leaves, garlic, broccoli florets and chopped tomatoes and cook for about 3-5 minutes until the spinach starts to look slightly wilted.
- This would be the time to add the sausage to the pan if you want to serve this recipe with meat.
- Stir everything in the pan.
- Take out a rectangular baking pan, spray it lightly with cooking spray and place the bread cubes, shredded cheese and sausage in the bottom of the pan. Place these three ingredients in layers starting with the bread cubes.
- Now in a mixing bowl combine the milk, salt, pepper and eggs together until blended using a whisk.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture in the pan and bake uncovered for 10-25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved