To make meal preparation quick and easy, "bake" potatoes in the microwave. A medium size potato should take no more than 10 minutes to cook this way, though microwaves will differ. Experiment to find out how long yours will take to cook various size potatoes at different temperatures.
Ingredients (Per potato.)
1 large baking potato
1 cup beef gravy
shredded mild cheddar or mozzarella cheese
1 tsp - 1 tbsp sour cream, depending on individual tastes
- Wash the potato and pat dry with a cloth. Cut a line lengthwise down the top center, and pierce the upper sides a few times with a fork being sure to get the prongs about halfway through. Place, cut side up, on a plate in the microwave. Microwave on high (or what you know will work well for your microwave) 10 minutes.
- Melt 1/2 tsp coconut oil in a small skillet. Pour the beef gravy into the pan. Cook on low-medium until warmed through.
- When the potato is cooked through, remove from the microwave leaving it on the plate or transferring the potato to a room temperature plate if the other one is too hot.
- Press the potato down with a fork and top with sour cream and cheese mashing everything together somewhat. Top with hot beef gravy.
- Use fresh potatoes when possible.
- Buy store brand cheese and sour cream, to save money on your grocery bill.
- Any flavor gravy will work, just be sure to add real meat chunks. Chicken and turkey are great choices.
- Serve with a side salad of greens, diced tomato and cucumber chunks.
Be sure to subscribe to Bangor Easy Meals to receive all new updates to the column. Please share articles you enjoy on Facebook, Twitter and other social and bookmarking venues. You may contact Shannon any time at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by leaving a comment here. Get her eCookBooks Very Frugal Vegetables and Main Meal Magic for recipes and tips.