Baked fish is a simple and healthy meal any day of the week. Served alongside a tomato topped with an avocado-cilantro vinaigrette sprinkled with bits of tangy feta, and it quickly becomes a superfood-packed winner of a dinner.
For this meal, we chose local cod, a mild white and flakey fish purchased at a favorite Long Island fish monger, Marine in Great Neck, NY. Following a recipe on the back of a handy McCormick seasoning package (about $2), we brushed it with a drizzle of olive oil and topped it with a scant tablespoon of the all natural lemon pepper dill seasoning (for tilapia, although we prefer cod as a substitution) for added crunch and flavor.
As a perfectly matched side dish, we simply topped a firm, yet ripe tomato with a simple to prepare avocado and cilantro vinaigrette (see recipe below) and sprinkled on a bit of crumbled feta. We then baked the fish along with the tomato for 10 minutes in a 450' oven. Paired with a fresh green salad to start, our quick and healthy fish dinner was satisfying and delicious.
Avocado and Cilantro Vinaigrette
- ½ scooped out Hass avocado
- 20 sprigs cilantro, stems included
- juice from ½ lime, about ¼ cup
- 1 tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs. plain greek yogurt
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
In a blender, combine all ingredients
Blend for 1 minute
Dressing will keep in refrigerator for up to 5 days
For other helpful Long Island resources, please visit:
- Long Island Grocery Stores, including specialty shops and those that deliver
- Where to purchase farm raised poultry on Long Island
- Grocery 101: Holiday Essentials
- Where to purchase Prime Dry Age Meats on Long Island
- Where and how to purchase a lobster (and other seafood) on Long Island
- Grocery 101: Basic Staples Lists
- Long Island Farmer's Markets: Locations and Dates
- Long Island Farm Stands
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Stumble
Write for Examiner.com Examiner.com is always searching for new writers. There are a huge variety of topics to choose from. View the list of available titles to see where your expertise lies. Be sure to use this link when you apply, as I’ll be recognized to make an extra $50 if you’re accepted as an Examiner. This is an incentive that you too will have a chance at when another writer is signed up under your title link.