Baking a tray of mostaccioli is a simple and yet wholesome meal to feed the family. This dish is great for cold nights because the oven will help warm the eating area and the kitchen to keep everyone close feel cozy and glad to be home for dinner.
Mostaccioli in Italy is also known as “Penne Lisce”. It actually is a specialty dish prepared in the Campania Region in Southern Italy as well as in the cities of Capri, Sorrento and Naples.
The noodles are shaped with angled ends that are said to resemble a pen point or a quill. The surface of the noodles are smooth which when served with just tomato sauce brings out the flavor of the sauce. This particular pasta is commonly used for baked dishes like this one which includes cheese and meats.
- 1 cup of uncooked mostaccioli pasta
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 Italian sausages with the casings removed
- 2 tablespoons of onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons of green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of diced canned tomatoes
- 1 ounces of tomato paste
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 9 ounces of ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup of grated Romano cheese
- In a large pot cook the pasta until al dente in salted boiling water.
- Drain the pasta when it is cooked to perfection, drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, sauté the chopped beef and sausage together and break the pieces up into smaller chunks white sautéing.
- Drain the fat from the pan and add all the ingredients to the pan with the exception of the egg and all the cheeses.
- Now bring the meat mixture or sauce to a boil.
- Once the sauce comes to a boil reduce the heat and cover the pan. Let it cook on simmer for 20 minutes and stir the sauce occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350’.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg and cheeses together and mix well.
- Take a baking pan and butter the bottom and sides.
- In the pan with the meat sauce mix in the mostaccioli until all the noodles are coated well.
- Add half the pasta and meat sauce to the baking pan.
- Top it off with half the cheese mixture.
- Add the remaining pasta and cover with the left-over cheese mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until everything is hot and cooked through.
- Remove pan from oven and serve while hot.
There is nothing better than a bowl or plateful of hot baked pasta!
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: