‘Bad Grandpa’ defied ‘Gravity’ at the domestic weekend box office, according to industry figures released Monday.
The ‘Jackass’ presentation starring Johnny Knoxville as an 86-year-old geriatric playing pranks on an unsuspecting public opened at the top with $32 million in ticket sales.
After three weeks at No. 1, space drama ‘Gravity’ starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney slipped to No. 2 in its fourth weekend, earning $20.1 million for a total of $199.6 million since opening Oct. 4.
Ship hijacking thriller ‘Captain Phillips’ starring Tom Hanks dipped one spot to No. 3 in its third weekend, earning $11.6 million for a total of $69.9 million since opening Oct. 11.
Despite a top-notch cast, director and writer, crime thriller ‘The Counselor’ debuted at No. 4 with a disappointing $7.8 million.
Animated family sequel ‘Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2’ stayed at No. 5 in its fifth weekend, earning $6.2 million for a total of $100.7 million since opening Sept. 27.
BOX OFFICE NOTES
- ‘Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2’ is the 25th film in 2013 to cross the $100-million mark in ticket sales, which is five more than the record-breaking 2012 had at the same point last year. 2012 finished with 31 movies topping $100 million.
- Films in 2013 remain on pace to break last year’s record in ticket sales with $8.76 billion through Oct. 27, according to industry tracker Box Office Mojo. Movies in 2012 earned nearly $8.1 billion through the same period last year.
FRIDAY’S NATIONWIDE RELEASES
- A brilliant young mind is recruited to save humans from an alien attack in the military sci-fi epic ‘Ender’s Game.’ Harrison Ford anchors a talented cast in the film based on the classic 1985 novel by Orson Scott Card. Rated PG-13. Watch the trailer here.
- Two turkeys travel back in time to change history and get turkey removed from the Thanksgiving menu for good in animated comedy ‘Free Birds.’ Rated PG. Watch the trailer here.
- Senior citizens throw a bachelor party for their last single friend in the comedy ‘Last Vegas’ starring Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline. Rated PG-13. Watch the trailer here.
TUESDAY’S DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASES
- ‘Monsters University’ is the prequel to ‘Monsters Inc.’ and shows the relationship between Mike Sulley during their days in the school. Rated G.
- A slain cop joins an undead police force and tries to find the man who murdered him in supernatural crime comedy ‘R.I.P.D.’ starring Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds. Rated PG-13.