Getting back into the swing of school again can be tough for any kid and parent. If you are afraid of what they are feeding them at school here are a few healthy alternatives. These suggestions are helpful in keeping their energy up so they can keep on track during the day.
1) Baked Sweet Potato Fries- If they love French fries, you can substitute sweet potatoes instead. Instead of frying them, bake them for the healthier outcome. They can always heat them up in the cafeteria if they asked an aid or lunch lady.
2) Fish Shaped Tuna Sandwich with lettuce on whole wheat bread. You can pair this with a handful of goldfish and some fruit.
3) Peanut Butter and Jelly on a Whole Wheat Bagel. Cut up some Roma tomatoes and pineapple chunks for your snacks.
4) Turkey Roll Ups. Roll up slices of turkey or your kids favorite cold cuts together. Add raspberries, tomatoes, cubes of pepper jack cheese and one cookie for their sides.
5) Hummus Wraps- Tortilla wrapped with hummus, baby kale and shredded carrots. Pair this with Cherries and banana chips.
6) Almond Butter and banana sandwich on a whole grain English Muffin. You can add a half of a banana, lemon cookies, steamed broccoli and Ranch dressing.
7) Fruit Salad- This one is easy, combine all of your kid’s favorite fruits and voila, fruit salad. Add a side of pretzel sticks or a cookie or two for variety.
8) Sushi- Easy and quick pick up wherever you get your favorite sushi! You can add edamame on the side as well. It keeps cold and no need to heat makes this meal perfect for your child’s lunch.
9) Pasta- Precook the night before some pinwheel pasta sautéed with butter, broccoli and Parmesan cheese. Add some sliced kiwis and crackers and cheese.
10) Peanut Butter Banana Bite - Cut up slices of bananas and smear peanut butter between two slices of banana to resemble a sandwich. It’s healthy and fun for the kids.