Just under two weeks to go and Newark kids will be back at school. Ok parents, you can stop your cheering. Right about now would be a good time to start getting your little ones (and older ones) back on a school schedule. That means no more late bedtimes or late morning rises. It will be hard to make the transition but with some perseverance and determination it will go smoothly. Here are some tips to begin to get your child back on a school schedule.
1. Start a bedtime routine. Young children need 12-13 hours of sleep a day. To begin, you could establish a system like the 3 Bs--brush teeth, book, and then bed. Or bath, brush teeth, and then book. Whatever works for your household. To tackle the demands of a school day, it will be important that your little one gets enough sleep. Young children thrive on consistent routine and this will help transition them to a school routine.
2. Establish a solid morning routine. Just as a bedtime routine is pertinent so is a morning routine. It will help things go smoothly for all involved. Of course you will have those days when you wake up late and you're rushing. But, when your child knows what to expect, it won't be hard to get things accomplished during the morning. One way to alleviate power struggles is to have your child choose their clothes in the evening and lay them out. Also, pack lunches from the night before.
3. Read books about the first day of school. This is a great way to prepare your child either for a new class, new grade or new school.
4. Do a visit of the school. This may help to ease the butterflies of nervousness in your little one's tummy. Most often young children need to know what to expect. Even just a drive to the school may alleviate any emerging fears.
5. Practice self-help skills. One way to get your child prepared for school is to start practicing self-help skills. Have your child practice getting dressed. Use a timer to see how quickly they can get dressed; make it into a game. When school comes around, they will then be used to the routine and will save you time in the morning!