Two events will be coming to the Des Moines area soon for frugal families. The first is Jump Start Back to School Physicals. The Jump Start Back to School Health Fair will be held on Saturday, July 27, 2013 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at East High School, 815 E. 13th Street, Des Moines. (East High students are welcome to enter at 10:00 a.m.)
This is a free health fair open to all K-12 students in Polk County. Students may use some or all of the services: physicals, immunizations, dental screenings, lead tests, EKG, mental health screenings, health and dental insurance application (hawk-i), and information about after school programming will be provided.
Participants receive a backpack full of school supplies, stocked according to grade. A parent or guardian must accompany the student. There will be forms to fill out. Translation service is available. Because many volunteers work this event, there is very short lines and waiting times for participants.
The second event of interest is the State of Iowa’s tax-free holiday. This holiday removes the sales tax, local option taxes included, from being charged to families on certain clothing items. August 2 and 3, 2013 are the dates for this year’s tax-free holiday.
Will I be charged sales tax for the item I want to purchase? The answer is NO, there is no sales tax if:
- It is apparel/clothing such as underwear, jeans, jackets, and socks
- Footwear such as boots, athletic socks, shoes without cleats
- The price is less than $100
The answer is YES, there is sales tax on:
- Accessories such as backpacks and purses, jewelry, and hair accessories; however, scarves and hats are exempt
- Items and sets/units priced over $100 such as suits
- Items related to extracurricular activities such as dance shoes, ski boots, shin guards; however, leotards and tights, tennis skirts are exempt
- The price is $100 or more
To get more information and make good purchasing decisions, visit the state's webpage about the event.