Juan Pablo Galavis has issued a second apology for anti-gay remarks he made at a network party last week. On January 18, the GLAAD website posted a statement from the 32-year old “Bachelor” star in which he once again apologized for his insensitive comments and revealed that he’ll be meeting with gay and lesbian families and GLAAD reps, including former “My So Called Life” star Wilson Cruz.
“I have heard from many gay Latinos today who are hurt because of what I said and I apologize,” he said. “I know gay parents and I support them and their families. They are good parents and loving families. I am a father and I know the feel of being a father, why wouldn't I want my gay friends to also be happy parents?”
Galavis also said that her respects everyone: “I also want gay and lesbian youth to know that it is fine to be who you are,” he said. “Gay or straight, Black or White, Latin or American, what matters here is to respect who we are… Gay and lesbian people, and the children they are raising, wrongfully face discrimination and I want them to know that I’m on their side.”
Galavis came under fire over the weekend for remarks he made to The TV Page about the possibility of a gay or bisexual “Bachelor” star. At the time, he denounced the idea, saying “I don’t think it is a good example for kids to watch that on TV.”
The former soccer pro also referred to gays as “more pervert in a sense.”
He later posted an apology on his Facebook page, explaining, “The word pervert was not what I meant to say and I am very sorry about it,” he explained. “Everyone knows English is my second language and my vocabulary is not as broad as it is in Spanish and, because of this, sometimes I use the wrong words to express myself. What I meant to say was that gay people are more affectionate and intense and for a segment of the TV audience this would be too racy to accept. "