Skip to main content

See also:

‘Bachelor’ star Juan Pablo Galavis explains why he didn’t propose to Nikki

It was the most dramatic “Bachelor” finale forever. (For real!) Fans were outraged when “The Bachelor” star Juan Pablo Galavis gave his final rose, but not an engagement ring, to Nikki Ferrell on the show’s final episode in St. Lucia. In a March 12 interview with People, the 32-year old Venezuelan soccer player revealed why he’s not ready to say “ I do” – or even “I love you.”

PASADENA, CA - JANUARY 17: Juan Pablo Galavis attends the Disney ABC Television Group's 2014 winter TCA party held at The Langham Huntington Hotel and Spa on January 17, 2014 in Pasadena, California.
Photo by Tommaso Boddi/Getty Images

"You go on [The Bachelor] thinking if there is the connection, you propose," Galavis told the magazine. "But I don't feel there's a need to propose to somebody if I don't feel 100 percent. I didn't know Nikki. I want to know more, a lot more."

While Ferrell revealed that she would have said yes to a proposal, she’s fine with waiting until it feels right. Galavis added: "It's our start now. We can get to know each other fully. We're not in a rush."

Galavis also said that he was portrayed as a “character” on TV: "At lot of things about me were not shown,” he said. “I'm not a bad guy. People who know me, know who I am."

The single dad’s eligible “Bachelor” status took a hit in January, when he made anti-gay comments to a reporter. Since then, the ABC franchise has seemingly tried to distance itself from Galavis. He didn’t appear at the televised wedding of “Bachelor” alums Seam Lowe and Catherine Giudici, and his rumored spot on “Dancing with the Stars” was reportedly axed.

A show insider told Yahoo TV that producers were “definitely ready” for Juan Pablo’s season to be over.