It is Baby Safety Month. Do you know what the ingredients are in the vaccines that you may choose to give to your baby? Chemicals used in the production of vaccines include a suspending fluid (sterile water, saline, or fluids containing protein); preservatives and stabilizers (albumin, phenols, and glycine, for example).
According to the United States Centers for Disease Control's vaccine additives page found here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm, all the following ingredients are used as vaccine additives:
- Aluminum - Aluminum gels or salts of aluminum which are added as adjuvants
- Egg protein- Found in influenza and yellow fever vaccines, which are prepared using chicken eggs. If you or your baby are unable to eat eggs or egg products safely you should not receive these vaccines.
- Formaldehyde - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services openly admits that formaldehyde causes cancer on the National Toxicology Program website, featuring its 12th Report on Carcinogens. There, the formaldehyde Fact Sheet fails to mention formaldehyde in vaccines. It does state, however, that "...formaldehyde causes myeloid leukemia, and rare cancers including sinonasal and nasopharyngeal cancer."
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and 2-phenoxy-ethanol
- Thimerosal - A mercury-containing preservative that is added to vials of vaccine that contain more than one dose
The non-profit advocacy group Coalition for Mercury-Free Drugs, also known as CoMeD has been trying to raise awareness about the presence of mercury in vaccines. See: http://www.examiner.com/article/coalition-for-mercury-free-drugs-comed-trying-to-ban-mercury-worldwide
Parents who choose to vaccinate should be informed of vaccine ingredients. They should also read all of the package inserts if choosing to vaccinate. A list of links where parents can find out what vaccine package inserts say can be found here: www.examiner.com/article/list-of-links-where-you-can-find-out-what-vacci... Parents should be informed of adverse side effects and what to do in the event one occurs.
A Sanofi Pasteur vaccine package insert visibly displayed on a government website, lists on page 11 the following adverse events reported because of their DTaP vaccine:
"Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS, anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, AUTISM...". To view the actual package insert and the rest of the listed side effects, see: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm101580.pdf
...know of any passionate, knowledgeable writers? Give them this link for an application form: http://exm.nr/LZjwsN
Don't miss another EXAMINER article: Subscribe to email alerts by clicking the word 'subscribe' directly after the author's name above. Find her on facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/chiromother, twitter http://twitter.com/ChiroMother OR Pinterest at: http://pinterest.com/chiromother/my-articles-and-videos-at-examiner-com-yahoo-voice/.