A brave man is being credited with saving the lives of approximately 19,000 baby chicks. A fire broke out at a chicken house in Shenandoah County, Virginia but the property owner, Roger Martin, was on the premises when the fire began. He saw the flames and ran to another part of the building where the chicks and some adult chickens were housed. He opened the door and hoped that the chickens would be able to escape the inferno.
Most of the chicks and chickens hurried out the door and were saved by Martin's quick thinking. A handful of chicks didn't make it out alive but with the majority saved, Martin undoubtedly did the right thing.
Authorities believe that an electrical malfunction caused the fire. Officials were able to battle the blaze and put the fire out. There was about $8,000 worth of damage to the roof of the place. It's unknown where the chicks and chickens will be housed while repairs are being done.
© Effie Orfanides 2013