Ba-Le French sandwich & bakery, the best $5 (max!) you ever spent on a Vietnamese sandwich

Combination Sandwich: Steamed pork, char siu, and pate.
Combination Sandwich: Steamed pork, char siu, and pate.Photo by Inthira Marks

Ba-Le French Sandwich & Bakery is a franchise that first started in 1986 and now boasts over 20 locations around the island of Oahu. Not only do they bake fresh croissants, French bread, and many other pastries, but they serve authentic Vietnamese dishes, with their specialty being the Vietnamese sandwich. How exactly is a Vietnamese sandwich different from an American one? Besides using bread to house the meats and vegetables, the rest is completely different.

American sandwiches use meats like ham, turkey, and bacon, whereas Ba-Le sandwiches have lemon grass chicken, steamed pork, and char siu. Common vegetables found in American sandwiches are lettuce, tomato, and onion, whereas Ba-Le uses pickled daikon, carrots, cucumbers, and fresh Chinese parsley. Sure Ba-Le has incorporated some common deli meats into their menu like a pastrami or turkey sandwich, but most of their sandwiches hold true to the flavors from Vietnam. All Ba-Le’s sandwiches are served on their warm French bread (they warm it up in a mini toaster right in front of you so that your sandwich is still warm when you eat it!) or their croissants for $.50 extra. Their sandwiches are all reasonable ranging from $3.50 to $5, a great option for those who are on a budget.

To find the nearest Ba-Le French Sandwich & Bakery check your local phone book.

Comments

• Patrick 4 years ago

Tofu sandwich is awesome. Pickled daikon and carrots really makes the sandwich. Now I've got a craving..

• Brooke U. 4 years ago

I love their sandwiches because they are so fresh. Such a delicious blend of vietnamese and french cuisine. You did them justice in this article.

• Asia 4 years ago

I love their avocado sandwiches on croissant. I also usually get an almond jello.

• Linda M 4 years ago

I love their tofu sandwich, summer roll with the vermicelli salad. Delicious! Your article certainly described the delicious Vietnamese flavors.

• Tricia 4 years ago

Great light, but filling pick me-up after a long day at work. Love the texture and the the crust on the bread. Great recommendation.

• Elysa 4 years ago

I love Bale sandwiches! My fave is the vegetarian.

• Uncle Gene 4 years ago

I had my first Ba Le sandwich in Honolulu's Chinatown on King Street around 1988 and it was the greatest!! I had two mainland HS friends with me and they loved the sandwich and the Vietnamese Iced Coffee (yellow can, with chicory) and sweetened condensed milk. I may have had 500 Ba Le sandwiches since, probably more. My fav is the lemon grass chicken, but the tuna is great and so is everything else. At Ba Le on Ward Av, they have great Chicken curry, which yous should get on noodles, not on rice because it has extra veggies......try it....wow, ono!