On Thursday, September 5 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., Avondale Brewing Company (201 41st Street South, Birmingham) will collaborate with Chef Sean Butler of Food Studio B to hold "Cheers to the Coosa!", a charity beer dinner at the brewery to raise funds and awareness for the Coosa Riverkeeper.
Coosa Riverkeeper is a citizen-based organization driven by science and policy with a desire to protect and promote the Coosa River of Alabama. The Coosa River is a waterway that has an overwhelming abundance of picturesque landscapes, aquatic biodiversity, culture and history. The Coosa has been a key strategic point throughout history for groups such as Native Americans, the British, the Spanish, and the French. The area's riverboat era was even the inspiration for the classic Popeye the Sailorman cartoon. Sadly, the river's cultural and historical significance was not enough to properly preserve it. In 2010, American Rivers named the Coosa one of the 10 most endangered rivers in the country. Thanks to rapid dam development, the Coosa is also home to the largest extinction event in modern North American history, according to Center for Biological Diversity. To get the river back on track, the folks behind Coosa Riverkeeper have made it their mission to make the Coosa River swimmable, drinkable, and fishable again by directly addressing the issues that threaten it. The staff of the Coosa Riverkeeper actively patrols the watershed by boat and plane, advocates for the river, promotes compliance with environmental laws, and educates the public on why and how the river should be protected.
In an effort to aid the Coosa Riverkeeper in its noble mission, Avondale Brewing Company and Chef Sean Butler have put together an impressive and unique farm-to-table beer dinner for Thursday's event. Instead of a typical, sit down, multi-course meal, this dining experience will provide attendees with a casual atmosphere that allows them to mingle between eight beer and food stations. Each station will feature an Avondale Brewing offering that has been carefully paired with two dishes. Here are the full details on each station for the event:
Station 1: Spring Street Saison
- Braised Venison Hind Bolognese over Olive Oil Poached Spaghetti Squash
- Flatbread of Roasted Eggplant, Caponata, Mozzarella, Basil
Station 2: Battlefield IPA
- Edna Lewis Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing and Toasted Pecans
- Kabocha Squash Turnovers with Sweet Tea Molasses Reduction
Station 3: Streetcar Kolsch
- Chickpea Fritters on a bed of Local Mushrooms, Okra-Tomato Relish, Mushroom Aioli, Local Chevre
- Mexican Chocolate Mousse with Candied Cinnamon Basil
Station 4: Vanillaphant Porter
- Smoked Chicken Liver & Jim Beam Bourbon Pate Fig & Raspberry Jam, Challah Toast
- Salted Caramel Goat-cheese Cake
Station 5: Miss Fancy’s Tripel
- Ale Braised Chicken Thigh with Ratatouille and Crispy Skin
- Homemade Molasses Marshmallow S’more
Station 6: Long Branch Scottish Ale
- Smoked Pork Belly with Griddle Cakes and Marinated Butterbeans
- Venison Chorizo Tostadas, Avocado Mash, Cilantro Pesto with Pickled Peppers and House Queso Fresco
Station 7: Pachyderm Pale Wheat
- Lemon Basil Jumbo Lump Crab Cake with Tomato, Sweet Corn and Mustard Sauce
- Fig & Strawberry White Chocolate Shortcake
Station 8: Strawberry Kolsch
- Roasted Cauliflower with Pickled Peppers, Pine Nuts and Mint
- Cinnamon Spiced Duck Breast with Butternut Squash Gnocchi, Broccolini, Crispy House-made Pancetta and Pickled Cherries
Throughout the event, Coosa Riverkeeper staff members will be on hand to educate attendees about the river, the dangers threatening it, and how we all can get involved. There will also be a silent auction of fine art and pottery, Alabama “Zone” football tickets, a trip to Marriott Shoals, and much more.
Tickets for this event are $80 each, and you can purchase yours by clicking here (simply scroll to the bottom of linked page and click on the Paypal link). Cost of the tickets include access to food and beverage, a souvenir Avondale Brewing Company glass, and a one year membership to Coosa Riverkeeper. Proceeds from ticket sales go to benefit the Coosa Riverkeeper and its mission. Tickets are still available, but act quickly because attendance to this event has been limited to only 100 ticket holders.
This will actually be Avondale Brewing Company's first beer dinner at the brewery, and it appears they have pulled out all the stops for the incredibly worthy cause of the Coosa Riverkeeper. We are talking an unforgettable evening of amazing food, tasty beers, charming brewery atmosphere, great company, and that warm feeling you get from helping a good cause. You really cannot go wrong with this event, so get your tickets today and help restore the beautiful Coosa River to the status it deserves. Prost!