This article is the second in a series that follows an earlier article on the same topic.
One trigger for aggression is careless interaction with a person who habitually acts aggressively. Such a person may harbor much anger about the unjust manner in which he feels that others have treated him. If you are similar in any way to the others who he feels have wronged him, he might focus his seething anger upon you. If you, for example, are merely of the same race as the person he resents, that alone might predispose you to becoming a target for his aggression.
There are many careless actions that can set off the violence of this human being, who can be like a ticking time bomb. Examples of such careless actions are to:
- Be an innocent people watcher and to watch him too intently for too long a period of time.
- Stand too close to him, thus violating his need for more than an average amount of personal space.
- Argue with this person, who might have a lower level of intelligence than you as well as inferior verbal skills, thus motivating him to fall back onto his physical fighting skills to avoid being verbally overwhelmed.
- Gesture with your hands while talking, thus making him think you are getting him used to movement so that you can make him vulnerable to your sucker punch .
- Step on his foot accidently without saying, “Excuse me. I’m sorry.”
- Make a conflict heated and personal instead of trying to keep it calm and objective.
- Insist upon exceeding your reasonable rights, such as by taking up two parking spots in a crowded parking lot so that nobody will scratch or dent your car.
These careless or arrogant actions can be hazardous to your health.
The ongoing habit of practicing stress management techniques helps people to think more clearly and to reduce the number of angry verbal tones and aggressive body language movements that can escalate situations that have the potential for violence.
Proverbs 15: 1 reads:
“A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.”
What aggression triggers have you experienced? How have you been able to avoid activating them? Please comment below