This time of year can be a challenge for a lot of parents. It is cold outside. Too cold for hikes or to enjoy an afternoon at the park or playground. Christmas toys have suddenly lost their shiny new appeal. And you hear those dreaded words, “I’m bored”.
Instead of suffering inside your house all winter and hibernating, why not get out with the kids and make some memories.
Here are a few ideas to help you get started.
• If you are lucky enough to receive snow, get out and play. Build snowmen, go sledding, and make snow angels or even snow ice cream. Get creative and let the kid’s imaginations go wild. Not only will you have a great time, but you most likely will be rewarded with great naps as snow activities tend to exhaust even the most active children.
• Take a trip to a museum. Spend the afternoon exploring, learning and experiencing new and exciting things. Whether it is a children’s museum, art, history, etc. You are bound to find something that will interest everyone in your party.
• Plan a movie date. Take in a matinee and then grab a bite to eat at their favorite food spot. That is if you are not completely stuffed with popcorn.
• Visit a local indoor swimming pool. Just because it is cold outside doesn’t mean you have to put all the swimsuits away. Plan a trip to the pool and brush up on those swimming skills that will be needed in the summer.
• Be a tourist in your own home town. It is easy to overlook all the great spots in a place you live your entire life. For one day pretend you are a tourist. Visit local historical landmarks, monuments, battlefields. Discover what makes your town special.
• Take a trip to the mall. If all else fails, pack this kids up and head to the mall. Bounce around the children’s play area, wonder up and down the mall window shopping and grab a bite to eat at the food court.
These are just a few ideas. Hopefully this list will help inspire you to get out and have fun this winter.