How often have we seen people in grocery or department stores and been appalled by what they were wearing? How often have we shaken out heads in despair as people embarrassed not only themselves but others? How often have we wanted to be the ‘Fashion Police’ and tell someone to dress more appropriately?
Too often, summer brings out the best and worst in clothing choices. Some people want to be fashionable and follow the latest trends, wherever they may lead. Others just want to look nice, never veering far from the classics. Most want to be cool and comfortable, and a hapless few simple don’t seem to care at all.
With warmer temperatures, women are baring their shoulders, arms, midriffs, thighs and toes. Here are some common-sense tips to avoid ever having someone whisper, ‘OMG...she shouldn't be wearing that!’
- Sundresses are wonderfully cool and comfortable. They are available in a wide range of sizes and colors, often at very reasonable prices. A word of caution: never wear a strapless sundress if you have to keep hiking it up. Also, stash your cash or smartphone in a handbag, not down the front of your sundress. Strapless styles that offer extra support with built-in bras are generally a good choice.
- If you wear a tank top, always wear a well-fitting bra with it. This is especially important for full-figured women. Make sure your straps and clean and choose brighter colors for summer bras.
- Those who wear low cut tops that are open well below the arms or at the back never want to reveal too much. Choose a colorful bandeau bra in a coordinating or contrasting color to avoid embarrassment.
- Crop tops are the province of the young and tiny. Women with athletic figures can show their midriffs proudly. For most women, waist-length or longer tops are a better choice. Humiliating ‘love handles’ at the waist are better kept covered.
- Leggings are popular, and are comfortable, easy to wear and inexpensive. Curvy women need to be careful that they are not too tight and showing lines and creases best left hidden. A tunic top that falls to hip or thigh length is an excellent choice with stretch leggings.
- Pajama pants and scuff slippers have a place, and that place is in the home. It is not in the laundromat, Walmart or Murphy’s. If you need to do your laundry, pick up some groceries or pump some gas, please put on some clothes.
- Sandals are cool and comfortable. They are worn by almost everyone and available in an amazing array of styles and colors. Enjoy your summer sandals, always being sure that your toenails are clean and well groomed. Clipping nails at home can be just good as a pedicure. If you like polish, do them in a bright color to set off your outfit.
Enjoy the summer styles and wear them with confidence that you've made the right choices. The first rule of fashion is always to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. View the slideshow to see some stylish solutions to summer’s fashion faux pas from Victoria’s Secret.
Special thanks to in-house consultant Patricia MacLaughlin for he help in identifying summer fashion problems and suggesting easy, affordable solutions.
As always, maximize your style and minimize your spending~