If you're following the autumn superstition articles then you've read about pumpkins, scarecrows, and apples. Next up is a very popular autumn holiday, Halloween. Halloween is a time where people dress up, eat some candy, watch some horror movies, etc, and it's also a holiday that has a long history to it.
So here's a look at some superstitions that deal with this holiday:
- If you put your clothes on inside out and walk backwards on Halloween, you'll meet a witch.
- If you gaze into the flame of a candle on Halloween, you'll see your own future.
- If a candle suddenly goes out by itself on Halloween night that means a spirit is close.
- If you see a bat during Halloween its a sign that ghosts are nearby.
- Children born on Halloween are said to have the gift of second sight.
- If you ring bells on Halloween, the bells will chase the evil spirits away.
- If you see a spider on Halloween, some say that the spider is a dead loved one that is watching you.
- If you hurt a black cat on Halloween you'll get seven years of bad luck, which you shouldn't even be hurting any cats anyway!
- Seeing a bat on Halloween could be a sign that ghosts are nearby.
- Burning a candle in a jack-o-lantern on Halloween keeps the demons away.
- Don't slam a door on Halloween because if you slam a door on a ghost that means that you'll be haunted forever!
- If you hear footsteps behind you while walking one Halloween night, that could mean that there is a ghost behind you.
So those are just some superstitions that are about Halloween. It's a very superstitious holiday to begin with, this list of lore is just fuel for the fire.
If you have any other superstitions about Halloween please share them!