Autumn is a wonderful time to enjoy crisp, wonderful apples. They are the star of the show in this Waldorf chicken salad recipe. You can use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken from the deli, but a "quick chick" would use canned chicken. Two large cans are enough, but always rinse and drain first.
This makes a nice presentation when served on salad greens with some cheddar cheese and either hearty wheat crackers or crusty bread. It makes a nice tailgate party dish, or you could stuff it in a pita pocket, too.
- Red Delicious apples: 3 chopped
- 1 can of Sprite Zero for soaking apples to prevent turning brown.
- Lemon juice: Two teaspoons
- Mayonnaise: 3/4 to 1 cup
- Chopped celery: 1 cup
- Green onions chopped: Around 4
- Seedless red grapes cut in half: 2 cups
- Cooked chicken: 2 cups (I used two large cans of chicken breast, drained.
- Mixed nuts: 1 cup lightly chopped
- Generous salt and pepper
- Chop but do not peel the apples and place in a bowl of Sprite Zero for five or ten minutes. Drain and discard liquid.
- Combine all ingredients but mayonnaise.
- Add mayonnaise a little bit at a time.
- Serve with Colby cheese and crusty bread.