Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. Dogs

Autumn Dog Hazards in the South End


The streets can be dangerous when you're
low to the ground.

The South End is a great neighborhood because of the beautiful foliage and parking on every street; however, both of these positives can turn dangerous for dogs.  Autumn brings the potential for hazards such as antifreeze, mushrooms, and rodent poisons.

Puddles capture numerous liquids form the street including oils, gasoline, and antifreeze.  It is best to keep your dog from drinking from puddles even on the sidewalk because they could ingest these dangerous liquids.  Antifreeze is used in the fall to prepare vehicles and homes for winter and your dog could accidently come across it.  Any amount can be deadly and symptoms include dizziness, uncoordination, excessive thirst, and laziness.  Internally, your dog's organs are failing and you need to get your dog to the vet immediately.


Mushrooms can be difficult to identify.

Mushrooms come out in the fall and are usually non-toxic, but some can be very dangerous.  If ingested, mushrooms can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, depression, tremors, and seizures, with later liver and kidney damage.  Because it is difficult to identify mushrooms, keep your dog away from all fungi and clear your yard frequently.

Mothballs are common in households but can be deadly for your dog.  The chemicals used are toxic and if your pup ingests them, she could start vomiting, have severe abdominal pain, tremors, weakness, possible kidney or liver failure, and lab tests will show severe abnormality of red blood cells.


Keep your curious puppy from eating
dead rodents or decomposing leaves.

Rodents like to come indoors in the fall to prepare for the cold winter months.  Mouse and rat poisons are fatal to dogs too, so keep the traps and poisons in places that your dog cannot reach.  Also, make sure that your pup does not eat any rodents, especially if they are dead.  You don't want whatever killed the rodent to harm your dog.

The South End's beautiful trees lose all their leaves in the fall and the decomposing leaves can be hazardous for dogs in the area.  The mold in the compost, if eaten, can cause tremors or seizures even within 30 to 90 minutes.

If you think your dog has ingested poison, contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 for $35 per incident.  They will be happy to answer any questions and let you know if you need to bring in your dog.

For more information, visit http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/

or

email me

.

Comments

Advertisement

Life

  • ESPYS party
    Athletes and celebrities hit the red carpet at Body at the ESPYS party
    Today's Buzz
  • Using metalic paint
    Metallic paint can be used to refinish furniture or to create the illusion of a larger space
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Gardening
    Have you ever started a garden and found a lone tomato straggler in with the strawberries?
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Adopt a shelter cat
    Ten great reasons to adopt a shelter cat: Just ask Willie Nelson's family
    Camera
    9 Photos
  • Chikungunya virus
    Health news: Chikungunya virus has hit a man in Florida
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Oaks Spa
    Just keep moving is theme at Oaks at Ojai, California’s primo budget spa
    Camera
    6 Photos