This morning, I took an August walk in Millersville, and looked upon several backyard gardens. I saw tons of tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, and peppers ripening. So pretty on their stems, as butterflies flitted around. So, here’s an easy meals recipe for the garden bounty of the Harrisburg area.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic)
• 1 medium onion
• 1 red bell pepper
• 1 green bell pepper
• 1 medium zucchini
• 1 medium yellow summer squash
• 2 tomatoes
• Handful of fresh basil
• 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash original seasoning, or lemon pepper
• Salt to taste
• ¼ cup grated cheese of your choice
1. Mince the garlic. Peel the onion. Cut it in half, then slice it thinly. Cut the peppers into strips.Thinly slice the zucchini and summer squash. Chop the tomatoes. Cut the basil into thin strips.
2. Heat the oil on medium high in a large skillet. Cook the garlic, onion, and peppers for about three minutes. Stir and turn occasionally.
3. Put in the zucchini and squash slices. Cook and stir constantly until all the vegetables are al dente (tender-crisp.)
4. Add the tomatoes, basil, and seasoning. Cook another minute or two.
5. Serve. Put grated cheese on top.