The Museum is located at 56 West First, in the Historic Maritime District and is open to the public from noon - 5pm every weekend until Labor Day PLUS some special weekends. Admission is only $2 for adults, $1 for ages 6-12 and FREE for kids 6 and under.
On August 9th 1831, the first train ran in New York State, between Albany and Schenectady, for the Mohawk & Hudson Railroad. This later became part of the New York Central Railroad.
Another part of the New York Central, the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg came to Oswego and built Oswego's east side tunnel and bridge in the mid 1870's, so that it could reach Suspension Bridge - now known as Niagara Falls.
Also, the building on the corner of West First and Utica - now the Big M grocery store - was a passenger station, used by the NYC Railroad. The company also had a freight house on the corner of East First and Cayuga Streets.
Some of its cargo included coal for Oswego's steam plant, passengers, and outgoing products from boiler shops, Flexo Wire, and the old ice plant near the steam station.
The New York Central continued to serve Oswego until 1968, when it was merged with the Pennsylvania Railroad, to become the Penn-Central Railroad.
During 2014's Labor Day Weekend, August 30th - September 1st, the Museum will feature the exhibit "Working on the Railroad," which will take a look at the men and women who helped to build and run America's railroads. Tools, photos, videos and more will comprise the exhibit. This will be the final exhibit of the Museum’s regular season. Look for information on special events in October and during the holidays.
Contact the Museum for information on this and upcoming events or to arrange a group tour at 806-2193 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also fan them on Facebook.