From award-winning filmmaker Neil Burger comes the thrilling action adventure film Divergent, which he directed from a screenplay by Evan Daugherty and Vanessa Taylor. Based on the first novel of Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times best-selling book series, it stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Ashley Judd, Jai Courtney, Ray Stevenson, Zoё Kravitz, Miles Teller, Tony Goldwyn, Ansel Elgort, Maggie Q, Mekhi Phifer and Academy Award winner Kate Winslet.
Set in a post-apocalyptic dystopian future world, society has been divided into five distinct factions based on human virtues after the great war to maintain order: Abnegation is for the selfless; Amity is for the kind and peaceful; Candor is for the honest; Dauntless is for the brave; and Erudite is for the intelligent. Those who are factionless live in poverty on the street.
Each year, all sixteen-year-olds must take an aptitude test that shows them which faction they are best suited for. Upon receiving the results, they can then choose to stay within their family’s faction or transfer to a new faction. When it is time for Tris Prior to take the test, her results are inconclusive -- indicating aptitude for three factions: Abnegation, Erudite and Dauntless. She is warned this makes her a Divergent, a person who does not conform to one faction and is capable of free-thinking. She is never to divulge this information as Divergents are considered different, dangerous to the social order and hunted down.
At the Choosing Ceremony, Tris ends up deciding to leave her family faction Abnegation and join Dauntless, knowing she will never fit into any one group. In the course of her training, she discovers a mind-bending conspiracy by Erudite faction leader Jeanine Matthews to use the Dauntless to overthrow the current ruling faction Abnegation and eliminate all Divergents. Not knowing who to trust, she turns to Four, an instructor for the militant Dauntless faction, for help and in the process learns he is a man full of dark secrets. Tris and Four’s courage are put to the ultimate test when their perfect society unravels and their destinies are forever linked.
The DVD and Blu-ray are packed with bonus material, featuring deleted scenes and two audio commentaries -- one with director Neil Burger and one with producers Douglas Wick and Lucy Fisher. Exclusively available on Blu-ray are the documentary "Bringing Divergent to Life," an in-depth look at the making of the film, and the exclusive featurette "Divergent: Faction Before Blood," detailing the film's future world.
The next three installments -- Insurgent and Allegiant Parts 1 & 2 -- will be released theatrically on March 20, 2015, March 18, 2016 and March 24, 2017, respectively.
- Shailene Woodley as Beatrice "Tris" Prior
- Theo James as Tobias "Four" Eaton
- Ashley Judd as Natalie Prior
- Jai Courtney as Eric
- Ray Stevenson as Marcus Eaton
- Zoë Kravitz as Christina
- Miles Teller as Peter
- Tony Goldwyn as Andrew Prior
- Ansel Elgort as Caleb Prior
- Maggie Q as Tori
- Mekhi Phifer as Max
- Kate Winslet as Jeanine Matthews
- Ben Lloyd-Hughes as Will
- Christian Madsen as Al
- Amy Newbold as Molly Atwood
DVD Special Features:
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary with Director Neil Burger
- Audio Commentary with Producers Douglas Wick and Lucy Fisher
Blu-ray Special Features:
Includes all DVD Special Features plus:
- "Bringing Divergent to Life" Documentary
- Divergent: Faction Before Blood
Check out the slideshow to see what the exclusives look like.
- Best Buy - Divergent Blu-ray Combo SteelBook with DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy.
- F.Y.E. -
o Free tote bag when you reserve your copy of Divergent.
o $5 Photo & DVD Collector's Box with 10 5"x7" color photos when you purchase Divergent on DVD or Blu-ray.
- Target - Divergent 3-Disc Deluxe Edition with Blu-ray, DVD, UltraViolet Digital Copy and bonus DVD disc containing 45 minutes of features not available anywhere else (“Beyond the Initiation” with additional cast interviews; “Faction Fashions” takes an inside look at the costumes; and “Setting the Score” examines the film music score), plus Divergent temporary tattoos. Free Divergent fleece blanket with every Target exclusive pre-order.
- Walmart - Divergent Blu-ray Digibook with UltraViolet Digital Copy, plus 60 minutes of exclusive content and 20 pages of the next book Four.
Release Date: August 5, 2014
- Future Shop - Divergent Blu-ray Combo SteelBook with DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy.
- Target - Divergent Blu-ray Combo Pack with exclusive slipcover artwork and key chain.
Release Date: August 11, 2014
- Entertainment Store - Divergent Blu-ray SteelBook with worldwide exclusive artwork and limited to 4,000 copies. Additional bonus features include a marketing gallery, Ellie Goulding’s “Beating Heart” music video and four featurettes: “Meet Four,” “The Look of Divergent,” “Behind the Scenes of Divergent” and “Choice.”
Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray Combo SteelBook (includes DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy) - $19.99
Target exclusive 3-Disc Deluxe Edition (includes Blu-ray, DVD, UltraViolet Digital Copy and bonus DVD) - $19.99
Walmart exclusive Blu-ray Digibook (includes UltraViolet Digital Copy) - $21.96
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.