Below are the various book club meetings at Tucson bookstores this month. Join them to discuss the books or just check out what they are reading for ideas for your own to read list.
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
- 7 p.m. at Mostly Books - Non-Fiction Discussion: This month's book is Colossus: The Turbulent, Thrilling Saga of the Building of Hoover Dam by Michael Hiltzik. This book tells the story of the building of the Hoover Dam during the Great Depression from the idea to the design through the construction.
Sunday, August 10, 2014
- 2 p.m. at Antigone Books - Second Sunday Book Group: This month's book is The House Girl by Tara Conklin. This is a historical fiction novel set in modern-day New York as well as 1850s Virginia. The novel is about an escaped slave in the pre-Civil War South and a lawyer looking for an appropriate plaintiff in a lawsuit seeking compensation for families of slaves.
- 3:30 p.m. at Antigone Books - Steampunk Book Group: This month's book is The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. This is a time travel novel with unique characters such as an Egyptian sorcerer, a wereworlf, a millionaire, and a deformed clown.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
- 7:30 p.m. at Barnes & Noble Broadway - Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Group: This month's book is On Such a Full Sea by Chang-rae Lee. This novel is set in the future with America having very stratified classes.
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
- 7 p.m. at Mostly Books - 4th Wednesday Mystery Group: This month's book is Backfire by Catherine Coulter. This is an FBI thriller featuring agents Savich and Sherlock.