The month of January is about done and so the Atlantic 10 Conference is in mid-stream and there aren't really any surprises. Geeorge Mason--a newcomer to the A-10--is still winless in conference play while Saint Louis University is unbeaten against conference teams. It's unlikely the Billikens will run the table and it's also unlikely George Mason will shoot an 0-fer.
U Mass and Saint Louis University are in the Associated Press top 25 with U Mass at number 21 and SLU at 19. VCU was the AP number ten in mid-November of 2013: that's the high-water mark for A-10 teams this season.
The A-10 lost four members after last season and gained one back. Temple, Butler, UNC-Charlotte and Xavier left while George Mason became a new member.
Saint Louis University won the A-10 Conference tournament last March by beating Virginia Commonwealth University. The standings this year (on January 31, 2014) are similar to last year's final A-10 standings.
George Washington University has stepped up big time and are A-10 tournament championship material with their impresive 17-3 start and a big win over VCU. They have totally turned around their program with this year's performance.
Here's the standings as of January 31, 2014.
Atlantic 10 Conference standings
- Saint Louis University 19-2/6-0/W13
- George Washington University 17-3/5-1/W5
- Virginia Commonwealth 17-4/5-1/W4
- U Mass 17-3/4-2/L1
- St Joseph's University 14-6/4-2/W1
- University of Richmond 14-7/4-2/L1
- LaSalle University 11-9/3-3/L3
- St Bonaventure 13-8/3-4/W1
- Duquesne University 10-9/2-4/W2
- University of Rhode Island 11-10/2-4/W1
- University of Dayton 13-8/1-5/L4
- Fordham University 8-12/1-6/L2
- George Mason University 7-13/0-6/L7