The lead switched hands in four of the eight event classifications in the Florida State Bowling Association's 80th annual championship tournament over the weekend, according to current, unofficial standings posted Monday (May 26).
As the tournament reached the halfway point of its 10-weekend run at the 80-lane Boardwalk Entertainment Center in Orlando, there were new names atop both singles categories.
Jeremy Mooney of Palm Beach is the new leader in scratch singles with a score of 782 that was aided by a perfect game, while Anthony Hampton of Ocala now sets the pace in handicap singles at 851.
Moving to the forefront in scratch doubles were Craig Montesi and Michael Moore of Orlando, on the strength of their 1,481 pinfall, and Matthew Gilman of Broward County now has the top position in scratch all-events with 2,210 (a 245.5 average).
Thomas Slusser of Bradenton continues to lead handicap all-events with a nine-game total of 2,363. He is also tied for eighth place in handicap singles with 818, and he and partner Stephen Gergle are seventh in handicap doubles with 1,523.
Both team event leaders held firm, with Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 of Miami pacing the four-player scratch event with 3,410 and Once Rivals Now Teammates of Tallahassee leading the handicap listing with 3,778.
In addition to Slusser, three other individuals representing the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Association are in the Top 50. Ronnie Hayes of Bradenton is ninth in scratch singles at 730 with the help of a 299 game, and he is 29th in handicap singles with 786. Curtis Miccichi of Bradenton is 19th in handicap singles at 798 while rolling a perfect game, and Preston Willis of Bradenton is tied for 17th in handicap all-events at 2,224.
Over the past weekend, Tony Corrao of Lakeland and Mooney blasted perfect games, bringing the tournament total to eight. James Bolton of Orlando rolled a 296 game Saturday, and Jason Kindelspire of Marianna posted a 290 score.
The current top three in each tournament category:
- TEAM EVENT HANDICAP: 1, Once Rivals, Now Teammates (Tallahassee) 3,778; 2, James Team (Space Coast) 3,648; 3, Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 (Miami) 3,607. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: 5th, Fletcher's Bunch 3,523; 9th, Four Aces 3,494; tie 27th, DJ & Crew 3,419.]
- TEAM EVENT SCRATCH: 1, Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 (Miami) 3,410; 2, Mike's Pro Shop No. 2 (Miami) 3,178; 3, Jumpin Jesus They're Back (Tampa) 3,132. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: 33rd, Edward Jones Financial 2,836; 50th, Jughead's Construction 2,667.]
- DOUBLES HANDICAP: 1, Robert Platz and Jon Blum (Citrus County) 1,669; 2, Lauren Bland and Mike Mojzak (Orlando) 1,602; 3, Craig Montesi and Michael Moore (Orlando) 1,567. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: 7th, Tom Slusser and Stephen Gergle 1,523.]
- DOUBLES SCRATCH: 1, Craig Montesi and Michael Moore (Orlando) 1,481; 2, Israel Velasco and Carlos Hernandez (Miami) 1,368); 3, Chad Camp and Ryan O'Cull (Ocala) 1,341.
- SINGLES HANDICAP: 1, Anthony Hampton (Ocala) 851; 2, Jason Roules (Orlando) 845; 3 tie, Garnett Ferguson (Broward County) and Dallas Smith Sr. (Jacksonville) 832. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: tie 8th, Tom Slusser 818; 19th, Curtis Miccichi 798; 29th, Ronnie Hayes 786.]
- SINGLES SCRATCH: 1, Jeremy Mooney (Palm Beach) 782; 2, Michael Moscato (Space Coast) 767; 3, Tyson Kurth (Ocala) 762. [Sarasota-Manatee entrant: 9th, Ronnie Hayes 730.]
- ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Tom Slusser (Bradenton) 2,363; 2, Lauren Bland (Orlando) 2,349; 3, Wanda Norman (Space Coast) 2,286. [Sarasota-Manatee entrant: tie 17th, Preston Willis 2,224.]
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, Matthew Gilman (Broward County) 2,210; 2, Michael Moore (Orlando) 2,175; 3, Bobby Walters Jr. (Broward County) 2,154.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]