Legislators in Colorado are moving on fast forward toward stricter gun regulations. They are fighting to make gun owners on par with criminals, and the laws could change quick.
Proposed legislation, which may be introduced as early as Feb. 6, 2013, in the "comprehensive gun control package" are as follows:
- Gun owners will be subject to expansive and overreaching investigations for all firearm purchases or transfers. Question: will criminals also be subject to these background checks, or only law abiding citizens?
- Gun owners will be limited to magazines that hold less than or equal to 10 rounds of ammunition. Self defense? Not much with only 10 rounds.
- Gun owners will be subject to additional training requirements to obtain a Concealed Carry Weapons Permit. The democrat majority obviously doesn’t think the requirements of knowledge and training is enough.
- There will be a discriminatory fee (gun tax) to pay for the duplicative background check the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) already administers. But the question is, will people who shouldn’t have a gun for reasons other than criminal activity be on any forbidden list?
- College campuses will be off limits to CCW permit holders. Will there be more security on those campus’ to protect students and faculty against those who have illegal weapons?
- Gun manufacturers of “certain” semi-automatic rifles will be held civilly liable for crimes committed with their firearms, a direct violation of the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. Leave it to our elected officials to go above and beyond laws that are already on the books.
For more about current Colorado gun laws, click on the Colorado State Patrol. Currently, CRS 29-11.7-102 prohibits gun registration in the state of Colorado. How long with that last?
Democrats label anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment “gun lobby extremists” and in Colorado, you have full Democrat representation in the US Senate (Bennet and Udall) and a majority of Democrats in the State government. Contact them. Let them know where you stand.
With President Obama rallying the troops with his campaign stops around the country, those who support the second amendment need to stand up for their rights.
This page isn’t easy to return to, so please, be sure to subscribe and get updates as soon as articles are posted to the Fort Collins Republican, by Michelle Hurni.