The Westport Entertainment District will be celebrating Art Westport 2012 Friday Sept. 7 through Sunday. This is the 33rd year of the art fair in the district. Local artists will be showcasing their work in the historic district, with jewelry, original art, fine crafts and more. Some of the businesses in the area will be offering special discounts during the event.
The Kansas City Black Expo will be held beginning Friday Sept. 7 and run through Sunday Sept. 9. The expo will feature art, dance, crafts, various foods and music as it relates to the African American Community. The expo will be held in Bartle Hall at 13th and Central.
Saturday will be the day for Lenexa to hold their annual Spinach Festival. The festival will include Popeye and Olive Oyl, Crawling Contest and the World’s Largest Spinach Salad. The event is being held at Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park at 87 and Lackman.
The Prairie Village Jazz Festival will be held on Saturday at Hermon Park. The festival will include jazz, food and drink and art. The festival is free to the public.
The Kansas City Urban Film Festival will run for three days beginning Friday Sept. 7. Independent film production and studios will be featured for film bluffs. This is the fourth year of the event and will bring short films, documentaries and other works to the public.
Live theatre Sept. 7 to Sept. 9:
- American Heartland Theatre: Crown Center, “Making God Laugh.”
- Coterie Theatre: Crown Center, “Spring Awakening.”
- H&R Block City Stage Theater: Union Station, “The Real Inspector Hound.”
Music Friday Sept. 7:
- Clarette Club: 5400 Martway, Mission, Johnnie Rampage.
- Czar: 1531 Grand, Month of May, Attic Wolves, Kyle Blake.
- Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club: 3402 Main, Paper Anchors, Flourescent, Fields of Fury.
- Jazz: 1823 W. 39, Cold Sweat.
- Kelly’s Westport Inn: 500 Westport Rd., Magnetics.
- Knuckleheads Saloon: 2715 Rochester, Tab Benoit, Kris Lager Band.
- Mike Kelly’s Westsider: 1515 Westport Rd., Eddie Delahunt.
- RecordBar: 1020 Westport Rd., Gemini Revolution, Mad Spirits, David Burchfield, Great Stop.
- Riot Room: 4048 Broadway, Royalty, Mike Borgia and the Problems.
Music Saturday Sept. 8:
- Aftershock Bar and Grill: 5240 Merriam Dr., Merriam, Armed for Vengenance.
- Czar: 1531 Grand, Cherokee Rock Rifle, Atlantic John Velghe & the Prodigal Sons, Mikal Shapiro, Kasey Rausch and Shane Ogren.
- Knuckleheads Saloon: 2715 Rochester Road, Atlantic Express.
- Mike Kelly’s Westsider: 1515 Westport Rd., Allied Saints.
- RecordBar: 1020 Westport, Super Black Market, O Giant Man, We Are Voices.
- The Phoenix: 302 W. Eighth, Tim Whitmer and KC Express.
Music Sunday Sept. 2:
- Beaumont Club: 4050 Pennsylvania, 2 Chainz, Cap 1.
- Jazz: 1823 W. 39th, Rich Berry.
- Californos: 4124 Pennsylvania, Soul Rebel and the Beast.
- Riot Room: 4048 Broadway, BrooksofMHS, Sir Adams, Arcade, Shauna Knapp, LR Neko, Adrian Truth the Kidd.