Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Top News

Arrowhead homicide update: Police ID man who died at Arrowhead, probe homicide

See also

In an Arrowhead homicide update, Kansas City police identified the man who died at Arrowhead Stadium as 30-year-old Kyle A. VanWinkle from Smithville, Mo., who is being described as a “white male.” In connection with the possible Arrowhead homicide, “Kansas City police on Monday searched the home of a man who might have information about why and how another man died after a scuffle Sunday outside Arrowhead Stadium,” reported USA Today on Dec. 2, 2013.

The investigation into the potential Arrowhead homicide led detectives to the home of the unknown man in Independence, Mo., after they received information relating to Kyle A. VanWinkle’s death on Sunday. Police had obtained a search warrant to search the residence of the unknown man on Monday. The person was arrested as a “person of interest” but was expected to be released by Monday evening.

So far, police have not released any information whether any evidence in regard to the potential Arrowhead homicide was found at the home and the mystery of what contributed to the death of 30-year-old Kyle A. VanWinkle continues.

The man taken into custody on Monday is the fourth “person of interest.” The other three people that were taken into custody on Sunday were released after questioning.

According to eyewitness statements, during Sunday’s Chiefs' game against the Denver Broncos, which began at 3:25 p.m., a man returned to his Jeep in the Arrowhead Stadium parking lot around 5 p.m., when he found 30-year-old Kyle A. VanWinkle inside his vehicle. Police do not know yet whether Kyle A VanWinkle accidentally got into the wrong car or whether he intentionally broke into it.

During the struggle that ensued in the Arrowhead Stadium parking lot, the 30-year-old man – who showed no obvious signs of trauma -- collapsed. According to Kansas City police spokesman Darin Snapp, the man who returned to his vehicle in the Arrowhead Stadium had his son with him who ran to get help. When paramedics arrived at the scene at 5:20 p.m., they found Kyle A. VanWinkle unconscious on the pavement. Even though paramedics administered first aid and 30-year-old Kyle A. VanWinkle was transported to the hospital, he died.

"We don't know if the person had a health condition, had a heart attack. We don't know," said Darin Snapp in regard to the investigation of the Arrowhead Stadium death. "We're going to investigate this as a homicide until we hear differently.”

Since the autopsy results of the Arrowhead Stadium victim could take 4-6 weeks, police is asking for the public’s assistance. “Anybody who witnessed the incident is urged by police to call the TIPS Hotline at 816.474.8477.”



  • Mt. Everest avalanche
    Disaster strikes Mt. Everest as at least 12 people were killed in an avalanche
    Watch Video
  • Most Earthlike planet discovered
    The Kepler telescope has discovered the most Earthlike, possibly habitable planet yet
    Space News
  • Easter crosses create debate
    Easter crosses spark a debate of separation of church and state in Ohio
  • Chelsea Clinton is preggers
    Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton is pregnant with her first child
  • Stanley Cup playoffs
    The battle for Lord Stanley's Cup is on, don't miss a minute of playoff action
  • Ukraine discussed amongst U.S., E.U., Russia
    The U.S., E.U. and Russia agree on ways to diffuse the tension in Ukraine
    Watch Video

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about and apply today!