Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Arrested: Parents passed out on K2 at McDonald's with baby in back seat of car

See also

Two 20-year-old parents, Michael Patrick May and Brooke Amber Michael, were discovered to both be unresponsive and passed out while under the influence of synthetic marijuana in an Annapolis, Md. McDonald's parking lot – with their eight-month-old baby strapped into a car seat in the back seat of the family car. Officers with the Anne Arundel County Police Department (AACOPD) arrested the parents on May 31 around 5:20 p.m.

According to a June 1 release from the AACOPD, officers responded to the McDonald's parking lot on General's Highway after receiving a report from a concerned citizen regarding two people sleeping in a car. Upon their arrival, police discovered the couple to be unresponsive and the baby to be wide awake and alert in the back seat. Paramedics were called to the scene and had to “physically wake up the two adult occupants.”

When police questioned May and Michael, officers observed that May had difficulty standing up and that he had slurred speech. Michael also had difficulty maintaining her balance, stumbled while trying to exit the vehicle, and also exhibited slurred speech.

Officers observed evidence of suspected “synthetic marijuana” in plain view in the vehicle.

According to NBC News in Washington, police then determined that both May and Michael were under the influence of synthetic marijuana, also known as K2, and that the parents were neglecting their baby. Police were able to confiscate multiple packages of K2 from the couple’s car and arrested the parents, charging them both with “neglect of a minor and the possession of CDS Paraphernalia.” Both May and Michael live on Quaker Way in Annapolis.

Police will be turning the K2 recovered from the couple’s car over to their crime lab for further analysis. The eight-month-old infant was transported to the Anne Arundel Medical Center for a precautionary examination and evaluation. Police said that Child Protective Services was notified; and that the child was later released to his grandfather’s custody.