On Oct. 17, ABC revealed on Medianet that British singer-songwriter Mika and pop star Ariana Grande will perform their hit song “Popular” from the Broadway musical “Wicked” on the next new episode of “Dancing with the Stars.” As more and more couples are eliminated, “DWTS” has extra time to invite guest performers. Last week Aloe Blacc sang “Wake Me Up.” This time around Ariana Grande and Mika will perform “Popular.” According to “Broadway World,” the song will be featured on a new two-disc deluxe edition of “Wicked” to commemorate the show’s 10th anniversary on Broadway. The new CD will release digitally on Oct. 29 and will be available in stores on Nov. 19. Earlier this month, Grande and Mika appeared on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and now they’re headed to the “DWTS” ballroom. To see them talk about the making of “Popular,” be sure to watch the video above and to the left.
Also on tap is a brand new challenge called “The Switch-Up.” After performing a dance style they have not yet done, the couples will compete in this new challenge that is a fresh take on a dance marathon. The teams will compete side by side, in two rounds, with no prior knowledge of dance style or musical accompaniment. One by one, the judges will select couples to be removed from the dance floor. Extra judges' points will be awarded to couples based on longevity.
Ariana Grande and Mika, plus the Switch-up will be featured on the next new episode of "Dancing with the Stars” that airs at 8 p.m. EST on Monday, Oct. 21. At the end of the night, one more couple will face elimination. Last week, Christina Milian was shockingly eliminated after receiving her best score of the season.
“Dancing with the Stars” leaderboard from Oct. 14, 2013:
- Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff: 28
- Christina Milian and Mark Ballas: 28 (eliminated)
- Brant Daugherty and Peta Murgatroyd: 27
- Jack Osbourne and Cheryl Burke: 27
- Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and Sasha Farber: 27
- Elizabeth Berkley and Val Chmerkovskiy: 26
- Amber Riley and Derek Hough: 26
- Bill Engvall and Emma Slater: 24
- Leah Remini and Tony Dovolani: 22
“Dancing with the Stars” combined leaderboard after five weeks of competition:
- Corbin Bleu: 24 + 26 + 26 + 27 + 28 = 131
- Amber Riley: 27 + 24 + 24 + 27 + 26 = 128
- Elizabeth Berkley: 24 + 25 + 25 + 27 + 26 = 127
- Brant Daugherty: 22 + 23 + 27 + 21 + 27 = 120
- Jack Osbourne: 23 + 24 + 22 + 24 + 27 = 120
- Nicole Polizzi: 23 + 20 + 25 + 24 + 27 = 119
- Leah Remini: 21 + 24 + 24 + 24 + 22 = 115
- Bill Engvall: 18 + 21 + 24 + 21 + 24 = 108
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on subscribe and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest ”DWTS” news.