Producers Ben Affleck, Grant Heslov and George Clooney have won Oscars for Best Motion Picture of the Year for their film "Argo" on Feb. 24 at the 85th Annual Academy Awards in Hollywood, Calif. The Academy Awards are presented by the Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences and honors the best in film. Tonight’s show was hosted by Seth MacFarlane live on ABC and was televised in more than 225 countries worldwide.
This is the second Academy Award win and second nomination for Ben Affleck. His previous Oscar was won in 1998 for Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen for "Good Will Hunting."
This is the second Academy Award win and eighth nomination for George Clooney. His previous Oscar nomination came in 2006 for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role for "Syriana."
This is the first Academy Award win and fourth nomination for Grant Heslov. His previous Oscar nominations came in:
- 2012 - Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay for "The Ides of March"
- 2006 - Best Motion Picture of the Year for "Good Night, and Good Luck"
- 2006 - Best Writing, Original Screenplay for "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Also nominated for Best Motion Picture of the Year were:
- "Amour" - Margaret Menegoz, Stefan Arndt, Veit Heiduschka and Michael Katz, Producers
- "Beasts of the Southern Wild" - Dan Janvey, Josh Penn and Michael Gottwald, Producers
- "Django Unchained" - Stacey Sher, Reginald Hudlin and Pilar Savone, Producers
- "Les Misérables" - Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, Producers
- "Life of Pi" - Gil Netter, Ang Lee and David Womark, Producers
- "Lincoln" - Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - Donna Gigliotti, Bruce Cohen and Jonathan Gordon, Producers
- "Zero Dark Thirty" - Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow and Megan Ellison, Producers
"Argo," is a dramatization of the 1980 joint CIA-Canadian secret operation to extract six fugitive American diplomatic personnel out of revolutionary Iran.
"Argo" was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including:
- Best Motion Picture of the Year
- Best Achievement in Editing
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role to Alan Arkin
- Best Achievement in Sound Editing
- Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
- Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
- Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Please return to the Movie Awards Examiner for more Oscar news.
For all the upcoming Oscar news check out my Annual Academy Awards Facebook Page
Are you a movie fan? Join the conversation on Facebook!
For Palm Springs visitors and residents check out TheMovieGal.com.
Receive e-mail alerts when for the latest film news and movie reviews. Just click on the "Subscribe" button above. Thank you!
Whatever your movie choice this week, please remember your movie theater etiquette: silence your cell phones and no texting, please don't talk during the film and remove your children if they become a distraction to other audience members. Don't forget that laughing, crying and cheering are always approved behavior and even encouraged.
-Kay Shackleton is a film historian with special focus on Silent Films, see her work at SilentHollywood.com