Brazilian wandering spiders, native to South and Central America, somehow found their way into a British woman’s supermarket-bought bananas, leaving banana-eaters in the United States and the U.K. a little nervous after the terrifying story went viral.
MSN Now reported Monday on 29-year-old Consi Taylor’s discovery in her banana. What first appeared to be a small, white patch of mold suddenly became something far worse.
“I thought it was mold but when I had a closer look I saw some funny looking spots,” Taylor recounts. “I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders. They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet.”
Taylor’s banana exploded with hundreds of baby wandering spiders that had hatched inside of the fruit. Also appropriately named the “banana spider,” the Brazilian spider is one of the most venomous on the world; possibly the most deadly.
The Brit’s story is even more incredulous when we find out that after taking the bananas back to the market that she purchased them from, she was offered a measly coupon worth about $15 bucks. Is that the dollar equivalent for almost losing your life these days?
After an image of the spider was reviewed by a pest control company, Consi and her family were told to immediately evacuate. Their house was thereafter fumigated.
Brazilian wandering spiders “can be extremely aggressive and their venom contains a neurotoxin which triggers loss of muscle control, breathing problems, paralysis and eventual asphyxiation, although there is a common anti-venom,” says MSN.
The supermarket footed the fumigation bill and paid to have the family put up in a (spider free) hotel.