There are several things to prepare for when you are about to head to the beach. You have to make sure you have your towels, beach chairs, sunscreen, sunglasses, bathing suits, etc. However, when it comes to the bathing suit, this is often where people put on the brakes. Just knowing that the body may not be in tip top shape, can create a lot of anxiety, especially in women. Although the beach is about having fun and relaxation, for women, it can be a time of great insecurity if they feel their bodies are not up to par. Men are not oblivious to this same anxiety but women tend to be more body conscious as a whole.
Here are a few pointers for getting the body prepared for the beach:
- Set a goal before you go: Much of the preparing for being swim trunk and bikini ready is about getting started long before it's time to travel. The best time to get prepared for fun in the sun and ocean is actually in the winter. This allows your body plenty of time to start the phase of shedding the inches and pounds. However, if you are way past the preparedness stage of winter, you can still prepare before heading out. If you are relatively lean, or just have a few small pounds you'd like to take off, the best thing to do is to increase your cardio, drink lots of water and eat as clean as possible between now and the time you leave.
- Resistance Training: Make sure you are performing upper body/lower body routines, hitting all of the areas that produce the most muscle mass; such as the chest, back and legs. These are your metabolic targets and when worked with the greatest intensity, these body parts with the most muscle mass create greater metabolic expenditures which are required in repairing muscle tissue in these areas.
- Accept what you've done and how far you've come: If you have quite a bit more than a few pounds to lose, just know that if you did not start your preparation several months earlier, you will probably not be where you want to be in just a few short weeks. However, you still need to embrace the progress you have made, and follow the same protocol you would if you only had just a little to lose. Celebrating where you are thus far, is a lot more productive than beating yourself up for what you haven't done. Accept yourself and move toward the future. Still go to the beach and decide to just have fun, knowing that you will definitely be ready next time.
- Understand that your mindset is key: Changing your body is about changing your thought process. This will include, how you view food, how you eat, how active you are and what you choose to focus on. You must believe that you will succeed and don't allow for anything less than that belief. If your mindset is about physical improvements, you will develop habits that will lead you to an improved physical appearance. Challenge yourself but set goals that require you to remain consistent throughout the year so that you are not having to work as hard as beach season draws near.
- Water, water and more water: Water is one of the most important things you can do for the health of your body. It doesn't matter how small or how big you are, you need water. There is no such thing as drinking too much water, so if you love water, this will be easy for you. Start making it a habit of carrying water with you everywhere you go. If you workout in the gym, even though they have water fountains, bring your own. Aim to drink at least 3 liters of water per day. Why? Well, there are so many benefits to just drinking water. For one, it flushes toxins from your body; it improves liver function and imports oxygen and nutrients throughout the body releasing energy. Water clears your skin and is a great way to minimize hunger. Water also helps release fatty acids into the bloodstream which in turn helps the cells of the muscles to burn less amounts of protein. For you bodybuilders out there, you should know that with enough water in your body, you will grow at a much faster rate during rest and recovery, since muscles are made up of water.
The body is a very fascinating instrument we are all born with. It will respond in like manner to the way it's treated. With care and attention, you can develop and change just about anything of your body. So, if your desire is to become beach body ready each year, remember, it starts long before the season and it doesn't end. A great body is an ongoing mission to be accomplished and mastered. When this happens, then having a beach body is not just for the beach, it's for life.