Arbor Hill was located on Stringtown hill at the northeast corner of Pfeiffer Rd. It was planned in 1908 as a summer colony by famous architect F. Manson Gilbert with the financial backing of E. Q. Lockyear (of the Lockyear Business College fame). It was touted as being near the new Country Club and only a short distance to the traction line (down Stringtown Rd just beyond Pigeon Creek). The homes were to have running water and electricity (yes--a selling point at that time!) Five homes were planned atop Arbor Hill, described as such: "No more attractive location for a group of summer bungalows could be found in the vicinity of the city"
The plat for Arbor Hill was filed 1912 (see slideshow). By this time there were only three lots so there may have been some financial difficulties and the subdivision was scaled back.
The main house at 3609 Stringtown was the first built in Arbor Hill and was for E. Q. Lockyear. F. Manson Gilbert designed his bungalow with an open floor plan such that doors could be opened to allow the entire width of the house to be used for entertaining. The Lockyear house was completed in 1914. This blue house with double shed dormers is currently being restored!
The next lot south was 3605 Stringtown Rd where a white craftsman was completed around 1913. The house was built for P B Fellwock who ran Fellwock Garage downtown.
A third lot (northmost) was platted but a garage/home is situated there. It is not sure if a house was ever built or a garage was simply built instead.
A house at 3601 Stringtown was likely built at the same time though it is not certain if it is considered part of the Arbor Hill subdivision.