Today is National Lingerie Day. The origins of this celebration are sketchy, at times attributed to the Intimate Apparel Council and other times attributed to a marketing ploy by Frederick’s of Hollywood. This does not negate the fact that any excuse to contribute to making life a little sexier is always going to be a good thing!
Lingerie can be intimidating to some people. Images of Gisele Bundchen in Victoria’s Secret and David Beckham in Armani underwear come to mind for most. Considering that the average person looks like neither of them, selecting the right celebratory garment could be a daunting task. Not to worry, though. Here are five tips to help you enjoy National Lingerie Day.
1. Proper bra sizing. The correct sized bra shows your breasts off to their greatest advantage. There have been studies showing that as many as 80% of all women are wearing the wrong sized bra. A quick way to determine your proper bra size is to measure underneath your breasts to determine your band size and then measure around the fullest part of your breasts to determine your cup size. Every 2 inches is a cup size. For instance, if your measurement underneath your breasts is 34 and the measurement around the fullest part of your breasts is 38, you would wear a 34B bra. If your size is in between, go to the next size up.
A better way would be to visit a lingerie shop and let them measure you. Embrasse Moi in Pittsford, NY offers this service. Devil May Care on Park Ave. in Rochester even takes it a step further with a convenient service called Face2Face Fittings. This service takes advantage of technology by consulting with you via video chat to assess the fit of the bras you currently wear. You are then sent a link that will allow you to have several bras sent to you at home to try on. Keep what you like, return the rest and the garments you keep are deducted from your deposit.
2. Take a shortcut. Love the look of corsets and stockings with garters but don’t find them comfortable? Consider a strapless bustier with a full stretch panel in the back or one that zips in the front. Once you have laced yourself into it, you can get in and out of it from the front. Add a pair of suspender hose (stockings with the garters and belt permanently attached) and voila, your look is complete without the fuss of those little clips.
3. Underwear as Outerwear. Use lingerie inspired accents to spice up your daytime look. A lace camisole peeking out from your neckline, a dress with seaming that mimics a corset or patterned hosiery (lace, back seams or BOTH!) are terrific options to get into the spirit of things.
4. For the tomboy. For the girl who doesn’t like “girly” things, a boy short can be just as sexy as more traditional lingerie. Fun colors, patterns and even text and logos can create a playful mood.
5. For the gentlemen. If you say “no” to the thong with the elephant face on it, silk boxers and a robe is a sexy way to go. If you want to take it up a notch, you can channel your inner Hugh Hefner opt for a smoking jacket or brocade lounging robe like this one from Hilleso Designs.
Whatever you decide, be sure that it is comfortable, fits well and expresses your personality. What will you wear today to keep it grown and sexy?