From two-time Academy Award nominee Stephen Frears, the director of The Queen and The Grifters, comes the touching comedy-drama film Philomena about one mother’s 50-year long search for her son. Based on BBC correspondent Martin Sixsmith’s 2009 investigative book The Lost Child of Philomena Lee, it stars Oscar-winning actress Judi Dench and Steve Coogan, who co-wrote the screenplay with Jeff Pope. Philomena received three Golden Globe nominations including Best Motion Picture - Drama, Best Screenplay - Motion Picture and Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama for Dench. The film also garnered four Academy Award nominations including Best Picture, Best Actress for Dench, Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts honored Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope with the Best Adapted Screenplay award.
Philomena tells the true story about Philomena Lee and the son she lost years ago. In 1952 Ireland, Philomena was an unmarried teenager when she became pregnant. Looked upon by her family and the Irish-Catholic community as a fallen woman who had sinned, she was sent away to a convent in Roscrea. There, she gave birth to her son Anthony born out of wedlock. For the first few years, she worked at the convent and spent time with her son until one day he was adopted at age three and sent away to the United States. Forced to sign a contract to never inquire about her son’s whereabouts, she thought she would never see her son ever again.
Decades later, Philomena has her own family in England and still continues to secretly search for her son in vain. She is given newfound hope when she meets world-weary political journalist Martin Sixsmith who takes an interest in her story. Together, they journey to America to help Philomena finally discover her long-lost son and learn that he, too, had been searching for her from across the Atlantic.
- Judi Dench as Philomena Lee
- Steve Coogan as Martin Sixsmith
- Barbara Jefford as Sister Hildegarde
- Sophie Kennedy Clark as Young Philomena
- Kate Fleetwood as Young Sister Hildegarde
- Mare Winningham as Mary
- Michelle Fairley as Sally Mitchell
- Ruth McCabe as Mother Barbara
- Anna Maxwell Martin as Jane
- Peter Hermann as Pete Olson
- Simone Lahbib as Kate Sixsmith
- Amy McAllister as Sister Anunciata
- Cathy Belton as Sister Claire
- Wunmi Mosaku as Young Nun
- Sean Mahon as Michael Hess
- A Conversation with Judi Dench
- The Real Philomena Lee
- Q&A with Steve Coogan
- Feature Commentary with Steve Coogan and Screenwriter Jeff Pope
- Best Buy - Save $5 when you buy any format of Philomena and August: Osage County.
- Toys R Us - Buy 1 get 1 40% off all movies.
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.