Lent is underway as of yesterday with Ash Wednesday. The 40-day Lenten season is marked by prayer, fasting and penitence in the Christian Church. If you’re not one of the people giving up technology for Lent, then these apps compiled by AT&T may help you make the most of the Lenten season.
1. Lenten Magnificat Companion (Apple iOS, $0.99) – Features chants, prayers, and liturgical texts for Mass and the Vigil.
2. iConfess - Confession Handbook and Guide (Apple iOS, $1.99) – Designed to help people who are not familiar with the Sacrament of Penance. The Church asks every Catholic to go to Confession at least once every year during the period of Lent. So if you haven’t been to Confession in a long time and are unsure on how to prepare and receive the Sacrament, this app can be of great help to you.
3. StationsOfTheCross (Apple iOS, $0.99) – Bring your phone and pray the Stations of the Cross on Fridays during Lent. Ave Maria Press’ app will help you reflect on each station with text and pictures.
4. Lent Finder (Android, Free) - The Lent Finder application helps the user find the date Lent begins and ends, and the days of fasting. It also provides a brief description of Lent. The app currently provides the details of the Nineva fast, Great Lent, Apostles fast, Assumption fast, and the Nativity fast.
5. Minute Meditations for Lent (Android, Free) – By best-selling author Sr. Kathryn J. Hermes, Minute Meditations for Lent is filled with personal accounts, approachable spirituality, and meaningful reflections with Lent.
Technology marches on regardless of whether you choose to utilize it or not. It’s nice to know some technologies are designed to compliment your faith. Stay safe, guys and gals.