Symbols are created through intense repetition, introducing specific energies to a certain item or pictogram through continuous use until it has been ingrained into the universal mind. Some symbols are even created first and manifested later, these symbols being the most powerful of all. For the apple, the earliest symbolic history is in Greece, where the apple was a symbol of love and even eroticism. It is said that a gentleman tossed an apple to the maiden of his eye, he was confessing his love to her, and if she caught the apple, she was accepting it. To the Greeks, the apple was the fruit of Aphrodite, the goddess who corresponded with the same aspect – Love, Desire, Beauty, and Fertility, and this notion was in the minds of every culture around the world.
In Ireland, if a woman peeled an apple skin in a continuous string and then tossed it over her shoulder, it would land in the shape of the initials of her future husband. Danish folklore says that apples will wither in the presence of an unfaithful person. In Arthurian legends, the of Avalon’s name means ‘isle of apples.’ Before turning into a regular Halloween tradition, the game of bobbing for apples was a divinatory method of finding out who was the next to marry! The first one to bite an apple, either in a tub of water or on a string, would be the next to wed. In the Bible, the apple is linked to sexual desire as the forbidden fruit.
Due to these longstanding traditions and legends, the apple has been programmed to resonate these traits in our collective consciousness. As such, you should use apples in spells for these reasons.
Apple Love Divination
- Finding one’s future spouse – Peel an apple in a continuous ribbon and toss the peel over your left shoulder.
- Finding one’s future lover – During an hour of love, cut an apple into nine pieces, sitting infront of a mirror, as if you are scrying, and eat eight of the apple pieces, focusing on seeing who your lover will be. When you get to the ninth piece, toss it over your shoulder and the face of your lover should appear.
- Picking the right suitor – If you have multiple boys or men to pick from, pluck the seeds from an apple, designate each seed to a suitor, wet them, and stick them to your cheek. The last seed to remain is the perfect match for you.
- Finding the name of a future lover – Twist the stem of an apple; each rotation stands for a letter of the alphabet in order. When the stem breaks, that letter is the first letter of the name of your lover.
Apple Love Spells
- Controlling the fate of your love – Twist the stem of an apple, one rotation per letter. When you come upon the letter of the lover’s name you want, pull the stem out of the apple. However, if the stem breaks before you get there, take this as a sign that it is not meant to be. Because of my own nature, I do not recommend you do this as your relationship will be empty and one-sided, as your forced lover will lack will and backbone.
- Keeping love alive – When cut in half, an apple holds a natural pentacle, the symbol of unconditional love to the Celts. Cut an apple in half and share it with your lover to boost your relationship!
- Boosting chances of a relationship – If you are, like me, opposed to forcing love via the first spell, try that spell again, but instead of willing it to happen, put it in motion that you would like to try to win this person’s affection. After pulling out the stem, cut the apple in half, horizontally to reveal the pentacle, and offer it to that person. If he/she accepts it, the spell is in motion on his/her own free will.
Love Spells? Love the history of all things magickal? Subscribe or follow me on Twitter for free, enriching updates for your magickal lifestyle! Simply click on the links below my photo, under this article! If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to e-mail me at Examiner.JenniferJordan@the-broomcloset.com! Happy Spelling!
Copyright 2013 Jennifer McDonald / All Rights Reserved.